FARGO, N.D. (3/25/18)---Senior Kendra Stoick won her battle with food poisoning on Friday and Saturday and then earned another win in her singles battle against Macalester on Sunday.
Stoick's 7-5, 7-6 (2) win at No.2 singles was one of only two victories for the Cobbers on the day as they fell 7-2 to Macalester.
Both of Concordia's wins against the Scots came in singles play. Stoick earned a back-and-forth win in the opening set but then watched a big lead slip away in the second set and had to earn the match win in the second-set tie-breaker. She was able to outlast her opponent by hitting winners from the baseline.
The win was Stoick's third singles victory of the year and she is now 3-4 in her last seven matches.
Freshman Jenna Forknell claimed the other win for the Cobbers. She stumbled out of the gate in her match at No.1 singles and lost 6-0. Forknell then found her groundstroke stride and captured the second set 6-4. She then rolled into the super-set tie-breaker and came away with a pair of late break points to win 10-7.
The victory is Forknell's team-leading sixth singles win of the season. She has now played in three super-set tie-breakers in 2018 and has won all three.
Forknell and Stoick battled in the closest doubles match of the day. They lost 8-4 at No.1 doubles. The Cobbers' No.2 doubles tandem of Lisa Neumann and Lexi Johnson lost 8-3.
WHAT'S NEXT: Concordia will have nine-day break for the Easter holiday and return to action when they host Minn.-Morris on Tuesday, Apr. 3 at 3 p.m. The Cougars have only played one match this season.
Macalester 7, Concordia-M'head 2
Mar 25, 2018 at Fargo, N.D. (Courts Plus)
1. Jenna Forknell (CC) def. Laurel Hickey (MAC) 0-6, 6-4, 10-7
2. Kendra Stoick (CC) def. Claire Buehler (MAC) 7-5, 7-6 (7-2)
3. Lily Stein (MAC) def. Lisa Neumann (CC) 6-2, 6-0
4. Della Brown (MAC) def. Lexi Johnson (CC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Natali Sorajja (MAC) def. Josie Beachy (CC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Maegan O'Herin (MAC) def. Charlene Allmer (CC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Laurel Hickey/Natali Sorajja (MAC) def. Jenna Forknell/Kendra Stoick (CC) 8-4
2. Claire Buehler/Della Brown (MAC) def. Lisa Neumann/Lexi Johnson (CC) 8-3
3. Lily Stein/Maegan O'Herin (MAC) def. Josie Beachy/Charlene Allmer (CC) 8-0