FARGO, N.D. (2/16/19)---Concordia used its 2-week break to continue to train and get better and their hard work was rewarded as they blanked Wis.-Superior to earn their first victory of the season.
The Cobbers won five singles matches in straight sets as they cruised to a 9-0 win. It is the second straight season that Concordia has shutout the Yellowjackets. CC is now 1-2 on the season.
Concordia's Top 5 singles players all claimed straight-set victories. Erik Porter started the parade with a 6-4, 6-2 win at No.1 singles. Jared Saue then claimed a 6-2, 6-2 victory at No.2. Ben Swanson, Tanner Lundberg and Carter Steffes all followed suit. Lundberg had the most dominant effort with a 6-1, 6-1 cruise at No.4 singles. Jake Peters finished off the singles wins with a 1-6, 7-5, 10-5 victory at No.6 singles.
For Saue it was his team-leading second singles win of the year while Concordia's Top 2 doubles teams both have two wins in 2019.
Porter and Saue recorded an 8-4 win at No.1 doubles. Swanson and Lundberg breezed to an 8-2 win at No.2 doubles and Steffes teamed with Christian Larson to record an 8-7 win at No.3 doubles.
UP NEXT: Concordia will continue their 3-match stretch against UMAC opponents when they host Crown on Saturday, Feb. 23 and then St. Scholastica on Sunday, Feb. 24. Both matches will be played at Courts Plus in Fargo.
Concordia-M'head 9, UW-Superior 0
Feb 16, 2019 at Fargo, N.D. (Courts Plus)
1. Erik Porter (CC) def. Josiah Borst (UWS) 6-4, 6-2
2. Jared Saue (CC) def. Leonardo Paredes (UWS) 6-2, 6-2
3. Ben Swanson (CC) def. Will Sherman (UWS) 6-4, 6-0
4. Tanner Lundberg (CC) def. Harry Simpson (UWS) 6-1, 6-1
5. Carter Steffes (CC) def. Petar Bulatovic (UWS) 6-3, 7-5
6. Jake Peters (CC) def. Carter Lamont (UWS) 1-6, 7-5, 10-5
1. Erik Porter/Jared Saue (CC) def. Josiah Borst/Will Sherman (UWS) 8-4
2. Ben Swanson/Tanner Lundberg (CC) def. Leonardo Paredes/Harry Simpson (UWS) 8-2
3. Carter Steffes/Christian Larson (CC) def. Grady Hauswirth/Brady Anderson (UWS) 8-7 (7-3)