A Split In Sartell
SARTELL, Minn. (3/17/12)—Concordia split a pair on 7-2 non-conference decisions in Sartell on Saturday. The Cobbers beat Southwest MN State 7-2 and then lost to host St. Cloud State 7-2. Concordia is now 6-6 on the season.
Concordia started the day by cruising past the Mustangs. The Cobbers switched lineups to allow several players to gain match experience. CC won two of the three doubles matches. The only contested doubles win for Concordia came at No.2 doubles where Kelly Kalvoda and Chelsie McGraw won 8-1. The pair has now won six doubles matches on the year and has a team-best 6-5 record.
The Cobbers had four players win singles matches and earned another team point for a forfeit at No.6 singles. Julie Olson, playing at No.1 singles for the first time this season, won 6-3, 6-1. She was joined by Andrea Koskiniemi, Taylor Peterson and Kaitlyn Davies as straight set winners. Koskiniemi won 6-1, 6-0 at No.2 singles and then Peterson and Davies earned their first collegiate victories. Peterson won 6-2, 6-1 at No.4 singles and then Davies put an exclamation point on the match by winning 6-0, 6-4 at No.5 singles.
Concordia then fell 7-2 to Division II St. Cloud State. The Cobbers lost all three doubles matches and then claimed a pair of singles bouts. Senior Andrea Rognlien continued her dominant season by winning 6-2, 6-1 at No.1 singles. She is 10-1 on the year and now has 34 career wins. Rognlien has won six straight and her only loss came to a Division I opponent. CC freshman Emma Koskiniemi claimed the only other win of the day. She ground out a 6-4, 1-6, 10-8 win in the super-set tie-breaker. Koskiniemi has won two straight and has six wins in her first collegiate season.
The closest match of the day came at No.6 singles where Kalvoda lost in extra points in the tie-breaker. Kalvoda won the opening set 7-5 but then fell 6-1 in the second and then lost an 11-9 heartbreaker in the tie-breaker.
Concordia will return to conference play when they host a pair of MIAC opponents next weekend. The Cobbers will square off against Macalester on Saturday, Mar. 24 and then face St. Mary's on Sunday, Mar. 25.
Concordia-Moorhead vs St. Cloud State
Mar 17, 2012 at Sartell, Minn.
St. Cloud State 7, Concordia-Moorhead 2
1. Andrea Rognlien (CC) def. Cassandra Brown (SCSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Katie Kotschevar (SCSU) def. Julie Olson (CC) 6-3, 6-0
3. Catarina Franca (SCSU) def. Andrea Koskiniemi (CC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Emma Koskiniemi (CC) def. Tanya Halloran (SCSU) 6-4, 1-6, 10-8
5. Kayla Buckley (SCSU) def. Chelsie McGraw (CC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Hanna Kantor (SCSU) def. Kelly Kalvoda (CC) 5-7, 6-1, 11-9
1. Cassandra Brown/Katie Kotschevar (SCSU) def. Andrea Rognlien/Emma Koskiniemi (CC) 9-7
2. Catarina Franca/Tanya Halloran (SCSU) def. Julie Olson/Andrea Koskiniemi (CC) 8-2
3. Kayla Buckley/Hanna Kantor (SCSU) def. Chelsie McGraw/Kelly Kalvoda (CC) 8-4
St. Cloud State 9-10