MOORHEAD, Minn. (9/15/20)---Head coach Chris Howe announced his recruiting class on Tuesday as he prepares for the upcoming 2021 season.
"The biggest thing that stands about this group is the number of student/athletes that were captain for their high school or junior team, "Howe said. "They are all humble players which has helped them earn the respect of their teammates and become captain. They are terrific team players."
The recruiting class for the 2021 season features four forwards, a defenseman and a pair of goalies. Of the seven new Cobbers, six were a captain for their high school or junior team and five were former high school players who played in the Minnesota State High School tournament. All seven of the incoming student/athletes played in junior hockey last year and three were captains of their teams.
"I am excited to add this class to our returning players," Howe commented. "They will help carry on the tradition of Cobber hockey and the success that we have had in making the MIAC playoffs in eighth straight seasons."
Below is a list of the current Cobber recruits to commit for the 2021 season.
Aaron Dickstein – Dayton, Ohio
● Goalie – 5-8, 165
● Played for the New Mexico Ice Wolves (NAHL) and the Louisiana Drillers (NA3HL) last year
● Played for the Milwaukee Power (NA3HL) in 2018-19
● Recorded a 2.93 goals against average and a 90.5% save percentage in 44 games for the Power
Matt Fitzgerald – Bemidji, Minn.
● Goalie – 6-2, 175
● Led Bemidji HS to the Minnesota State Tournament in 2015-16
● Captain for Bemidji HS
● Played for the Granite City Lumberjacks (NA3HL) for two seasons
● Had a 2.12 goals against average and 90.2% save percentage in 17 for Granite City in 2018-19
● Played baseball in high school and was a standout third baseman for Bemidji.
Kevin Ness – Broomfield, Colo.
● Forward – 6-4, 200
● Brother Nick also plays for the Cobbers
● Captain for the Minot Minotauros last season
● Recorded 31 points for the Minotauros last year
● Played in 83 games for the Mintauros in the last two seasons
Cole O'Connell – Moorhead, Minn.
● Forward – 5-8, 175
● Helped the Spuds to a State Runner-Up finish in 2016-17
● Captain for Moorhead HS in 2016-17 and 2017-18
● Captain of the Minot Minotauros in the NAHL last year
● Played in 93 games for Minot the past two seasons
● Recorded 32 points (13g-19a) for the Minotauros in 2019-20
Ryan Pogue – Bemidji, Minn.
● Forward – 5-6, 175
● Member of the 2015-16 Lumberjacks State Tournament team
● Captain of 2015-16 Bemidji HS
● Captain for the Granite City Lumberjacks last year
● Had 60 points in two years for Granite City
● Played in 71 games for Granite City in two years
Garrett Sandberg – St. Michael, Minn.
● Defense – 5-11, 190
● Helped St. Michael-Alberville earn a spot in the Minnesota State Tournament in 2016-17
● Captain of the STMA Knights in 2016-17
● Played for the Tampa Bay Juniors (USHL Premier) in 2019-20
● Second on Tampa Bay in assists last season with 28
● Played in 43 games for the Juniors in 2019-20 and had 30 points.
Brady Tatro – Bemidji, Minn.
● Forward – 6-3, 200
● Helped Bemidji to the State Tourney in 2015-16
● Had 38 points in the 2015-16 season
● Played in 94 games in two seasons for the Steinbach Pistons
● Captain for the Pistons last year and led them to a league championship
● Scored a total of 73 points (36 and 37) in his two years in Canada