Signs Of Improvement In Season Opener
FARGO, N.D. (1/28/17)—Concordia kicked off its 2017 season by hosting St. Scholastica and while the end result won't show the improvement, the overall play of the six Cobbers will.
Concordia fell 8-1 to the Saints in the season opener at Courts Plus in Fargo but had five of the six singles players earn game wins and sophomore Lisa Neumann earned her first collegiate victory.
Last year the Cobbers went 0-15 and won just one single match all year. Neumann matched that total by recording a decisive 6-1, 6-0 victory at No.2 singles.
Neumann is the showcase for Concordia's improvement as she continually hit winners and used a new-found power to keep her opponent pinned to the baseline. Neumann went 0-15 last year but has stepped up her game for her sophomore season.
Junior Kendra Stoick stepped into the No.1 singles spot this year and battled to a 6-4, 6-0 loss.
Breann Adamek, the other returning player on the 2017 Cobber team, played one of the closest matches of the night. She dropped a 6-2, 6-3 decision at No.5 singles.
The other tight bout came at No.6 singles where freshman Talia Dalzell lost 6-2 in the opening set but then got rid of her nerves and narrowly lost 6-4 in the second set.
Concordia dropped all three doubles matches with Stoick and Neumann falling 8-1 at No.1 doubles.
WHAT'S NEXT: Concordia will stay at home to start the season when they square off against cross-town rival MSU Moorhead on Friday, Feb. 3 at 6 p.m. The Cobbers will then head to Bemdji to take on Bemidji State and St. Benedict on Sunday, Feb. 5.
St. Scholastica 8, Concordia-Moorhead 1
Jan 28, 2017 at Fargo, N.D. (Courts Plus)
1. Jessica Solberg (CSS) def. Kendra Stoick (CC) 6-4, 6-0
2. Lisa Neumann (CC) def. Elise Hauer (CSS) 6-1, 6-0
3. Sarah Coryell (CSS) def. Ivy Mattson (CC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Katelyn Rice (CSS) def. Mikaila Carney (CC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Elizabeth Fink (CSS) def. Breann Adamek (CC) 6-2, 6-3
6. Syd Holt (CSS) def. Talia Dalzell (CC) 6-2, 6-4
1. Jessica Solberg/Madeleine Scanlan (CSS) def. Kendra Stoick/Lisa Neumann (CC) 8-1
2. Daniela Rojas/Miki Samz (CSS) def. Ivy Mattson/Mikaila Carney (CC) 8-1
3. Syd Holt/Alexia Brascugli (CSS) def. Breann Adamek/Talia Dalzell (CC) 8-0