Super-Set Singles Comeback Wins Not Enough
FARGO, N.D. (3/28/14)— Rose Reinert and Morgan Sawatzke earned epic super-set tie-break comeback victories but it wasn't enough as Concordia lost 6-3 to Minn.-Crookston in the final non-conference match of the season.
Sawatzke was a part of two of the three wins for the Cobbers. She also won her No.2 doubles match with freshman Jade Haseltine.
Sawatzke dropped the opening set of her No.4 singles match but then roared back to record a 6-4 win in the second set. She then rolled to a 10-3 win in the super-set tie-breaker. Sawatzke now has a team-leading four singles wins which is one more than she had in all of last season.
Sawatzke and Haseltine teamed to get the Cobbers on the board in doubles play. The tandem won 8-3 at No.2 doubles. The victory is the duo's second of the season. They are now 2-3 when playing in the No.2 doubles spot.
Reinert won her first collegiate singles match when she lost the first set 6-2 but then turned the table and put up a mirror-image 6-2 win of her own. Reinert survived several close points in the tie-breaker and was able to prevail 10-8.
Concordia will finish off their back-to-back home weekend when they return to MIAC play and host Macalester at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Mar. 29 at 3 p.m. The match was originally scheduled to be played outside at Concordia but was moved inside to Courts Plus because of the forecast of strong winds.
Minn.-Crookston 6, Concordia-Moorhead 3
Mar 28, 2014 at Fargo, N.D. (Courts Plus)
1. Katelyn Johnson (UMC) def. Brittany Glatt (CC) 6-3, 6-0
2. Catherine Brown (UMC) def. Kaitlyn Davies (CC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Holly Fletcher (UMC) def. Jade Haseltine (CC) 6-3, 6-1
4. Morgan Sawatzke (CC) def. Casey Paris (UMC) 1-6, 6-4, 10-3
5. Rose Reinert (CC) def. Sarah Muellner (UMC) 2-6, 6-2, 10-8
6. Anna Yuhala (UMC) def. Celia Peloquin (CC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Katelyn Johnson/Catherine Brown (UMC) def. Brittany Glatt/Kaitlyn Davies (CC) 8-1
2. Jade Haseltine/Morgan Sawatzke (CC) def. Holly Fletcher/Casey Paris (UMC) 8-3
3. Sarah Muellner/Anna Yuhala (UMC) def. Rose Reinert/Celia Peloquin (CC) 8-1