Rognlien Wins Twice But Cobbers Fall On The Road
ST. PAUL, Minn. (2/19/120—Cobber senior Andrea Rognlien won both her No.1 singles matches over the weekend but it wasn't enough as Concordia lost to Gustavus and St. Thomas on the road.
Concordia lost 8-1 to perennial league champion Gustavus in St. Peter on Saturday and then dropped a 6-3 decision against St. Thomas in St. Paul on Sunday. The two losses drops the Cobbers' early-season record to 1-3 in all matches and 0-3 in the MIAC. The Gusties are currently unbeaten on the year while the Tommies have only one loss on the year.
Rognlien came away with the only victory against No.15-ranked Gustavus. She recorded a 6-2, 7-5 win over Megan Gaard who is ranked 22nd in the Central Region in the ITA preseason poll.
No other Cobber player was able to earn a set win in individual play on Saturday. Rognlien teamed with freshman Emma Koskiniemi at No.1 doubles and the tandem lost 8-3.
On Sunday, Concordia came close but couldn't get past St. Thomas. The Tommies won two of the three doubles bouts and then four singles matches to pick up the win. Rognlien rolled over UST No.1 singles player Mary Allen. Rognlien won 6-1, 6-1 and remains perfect on the year with a 4-0 record.
The other singles win for Concordia came from No.6 singles player Kelly Kalvoda. Kalvoda outlasted Brianna Odeggard with a 6-3, 2-6, 10-8 win. Kalvoda is now 2-1 in singles play in 2012. The third CC points was recorded by Rognlien and Emma Koskiniemi at No.1 doubles the pair earned an 8-6 victory and is now 2-2 on the season.
Concordia will now head south for spring break when they play four different matches from Feb. 26-Mar.1 around the Orlando area.
Concordia-Moorhead vs Gustavus Adolphus College
Feb 18, 2012 at St. Peter, Minn.
Gustavus Adolphus College 8, Concordia-Moorhead 1
1. Andrea Rognlien (CC) def. Megan Gaard (GAC) 6-2, 7-5
2. Alex Erickson (GAC) def. Julie Olson (CC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Laurel Krebsbach (GAC) def. Andrea Koskiniemi (CC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Megan Born (GAC) def. Emma Koskiniemi (CC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Annie Mahoney (GAC) def. Anna Rasmussen (CC) 6-0, 6-3
6. Sophie Horton (GAC) def. Laura Hintzen (CC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Megan Gaard/Laurel Krebsbach (GAC) def. Andrea Rognlien/Emma Koskiniemi (CC) 8-3
2. Alex Erickson/Megan Born (GAC) def. Julie Olson/Andrea Koskiniemi (CC) 8-1
3. Mallory Shellum/Heather Annis (GAC) def. Kelly Kalvoda/Chelsie McGraw (CC) 8-3
Gustavus Adolphus College 2-1