MOORHEAD, Minn. (1/18/18)---A pair of seniors provided the highlights in Concordia's dual against No1-ranked Augsburg. Joe Heinz and Jacob Johnson earned back-to-back victories but it wasn't enough as the Cobbers dropped a 36-6 decision to the Auggies.
Concordia (3-9) fell behind 24-0 after the first five matches of the dual. The Auggies earned bonus point wins in three of the first five bouts and won another match by forfeit.
The closest match of the first five came at 133 where Aaron Dick gave up six straight points at the end of the third period and lost 9-3 to No.5-ranked Sam Bennyhoff.
Heinz got the Cobbers on the board when he scored a near-fall in the second period and then earned a takedown in the third before tacking on a riding time point to win 10-7 at 165. The wins was Heinz' 13th of the season.
Jacob Johnson kept the Cobber crowd of almost 300 on their feet when he scored a 9-6 win over No.6-ranked Tanner Vassar at 174. Johnson had a single takedown in all three periods and polished off the win with a reversal at the end of the third period. Johnson also earned his 13th victory of the year.
The final three matches would all feature major-decision wins by Augsburg (10-1).
STEPPING UP IN 2018: Jake Johnson is now 6-3 since the calendar turned over to 2018. Johnson went 7-10 in the first part of the season but has put together a strong stretch of matches which features a win over #6 Vassar. The win avenged a heartbreaking overtime loss to Vassar at last weekend's Matman Invite.
KETCHUP TIME: Like Johnson, Joe Heinz also has six wins in the team's first three meets of 2018. Heinz is now 13-9 on the season.
WHAT'S NEXT: Concordia will have a break over the weekend before returning to dual-meet competition when they host St. John's on Tuesday, Jan. 23 at 7 p.m. The Johnnies are 1-2 in dual meets this season.
Individual Match Results:
125 - #10 Victor Gliva (AU) tech. fall Jake Nohre (CC); 15-0 (7:00) (Augsburg leads 5-0)
133 - #5 Sam Bennyhoff (AU) dec. Aaron Dick (CC); 9-3 (Augsburg leads 8-0)
141 - #7 David Flynn (AU) wins by forfeit (Augsburg leads 14-0)
149 - #5 Alex Wilson (AU) maj. dec. Ty Jonson (CC); 8-0 (Augsburg leads 18-0)
157 - #4 Ryan Epps (AU) pin Keaton Long (CC); 0:47 (Augsburg leads 24-0)
165 - Joseph Heinz (CC) dec. Brady McFarland (AU); 10-7 (Augsburg leads 24-3)
174 - Jake Johnson (CC) dec. #6 Tanner Vassar (AU); 9-6 (Augsburg leads 24-6)
184 - #10 Sebastian Larson (AU) maj. dec. Nick Gravdahl (CC); 10-2 (Augsburg leads 28-6)
197 - Jonathan Zarnke (AU) maj. dec. Kody Van Den Eykel (CC); 17-3 (Augsburg leads 32-6)
285 - Ethan Hofacker (AU) maj. dec. Bryce Kallenbach (CC) (Augsburg leads 36-6)
- Augsburg is ranked 1st in the latest NWCA Division III national rankings.
- Concordia is now 3-9 in dual meets this season.
- Augsburg is now 10-1 in dual meets this season.
- Augsburg won 8 of the 10 bouts in the match.
- Concordia won 2 bouts by decision.
- Augsburg won 4 bouts by major decision, 1 by decision, 1 by tech. fall, 1 by pin and 1 by forfeit.
- Concordia Season Records: Joe Heinz is now 13-9 on the year and Jake Johnson is 13-13.
- Augsburg Season Records: #10 Victor Gliva from Augsburg is now 19-3, #5 Sam Bennyhoff is 22-2, #7 David Flynn is 10-3, #5 Alex Wilson is 19-3, #4 Ryan Epps is 22-1, #10 Sebastian Larson is 18-5, Jonathan Zarnke is 11-15 and Ethan Hofacker is 7-15.