A Back-And-Forth Double Overtime Victory

A Back-And-Forth Double Overtime Victory

SUPERIOR, Wis. (11/24/12)—If you look up the term "back-and-forth" on Wikipedia, you will probably find a reference to the Concordia 95-90 double overtime win at UW-Superior on Saturday. That's because the game featured 21 lead changes and had 16 tie scores before it was decided in the final minutes of the second extra session.

The Cobbers were able to outlast the Yellowjackets by making game-tying field goals in the final seconds of regulation and then the first overtime period before scoring nine of the final 13 points in the second overtime.

It is the first overtime win for the Cobbers since the opening game of the 2009-10 season when CC beat UM-Morris 80-74. The victory against Superior improves Concordia's record to 2-1 in the 2012-13 campaign. The Yellowjackets lose for the second straight game and are now 1-2 on the year.

The first half was the epitome of back-and-forth basketball as the teams traded the lead 11 times and, had five tie scores. Neither team was able to grab more than a six-point edge in a 20-minute period that ended in a 32-32 tie.

UW-Superior appeared to gain control of the game at the start of the second half as they went on a 13-2 run in the first 3:12 of play and quickly established a 45-34 lead. Concordia followed that run with an 11-1 string of their own to get to within one point at 48-47. CC eventually tied the game at 49-49 and then the teams traded leads until the final minute of regulation. The Cobbers trailed 71-67 with 1-minute left before a jumper by Ebo Nana-Kweson cut the lead to two points with :54 left on the clock. The Yellowjackets missed a shot on their next possession and then freshman Jordan Bolger converted a lay-up to tie the game with 10-seconds left on a nice assist from Dewon McKenzie. Superior had a final chance to win the game but a lay-up attempt was blocked by Nana-Kweson just before the buzzer sounded.

The first overtime was more of the same with neither team being able to pull away by more than three points. The Cobbers took the early lead in the first extra session but then the Yellowjackets scored five straight points to take a 78-75 lead. The margin was still at three in the final 20-seconds of the initial overtime period when Brandon Fisher connected on his only 3-point field goal of the night with McKenzie once again setting up the game-tying bucket. Superior once again missed a chance to win the game in the final seconds but a jump shot came up just short before the horn sounded.

The second overtime was all CC. The Cobbers gave up the first field goal of the second extra period and then rattled off a stretch where they outscored Superior 13-4 and put the game out of reach. Concordia had an opportunity to extend the lead in the final minutes of play but was only able to connect on five of their final 12 free throw attempts. Nana-Kweson and McKenzie led the way in the second OT period as they both scored four points.

The biggest difference in the game came at the free throw line where Concordia made just 52.9% (18-for-34) of their foul shots. Superior had one less free throw attempt in the game but made six more foul shots as they connected on 72.7% (24-for-33) of their chances.

Nana-Kweson had team-highs in points and rebounds for the Cobbers. He finished with 21 points to go along with 10 boards to earn his first collegiate double-double. The 10 rebounds is also a career-high for Nana-Kweson.  He has now scored in double figures in all three CC games this season.

Aaron Lindahl made a pair of 3-point field goals, went 7-for-13 from the field and finished with 19 points. Jason Huus and Scott Flotterud were the two other Cobber players to score in double figures. Huus had 14 points and collected eight rebounds while Flotterud was a perfect 5-for-5 from the free throw line and added 13 points.