WINONA, Minn. (4/18/21)---It was a short turnaround for the Cobbers as they returned to action less than 18 hours after beating Hamline to end their conference winless streak.
Concordia wasn't able to duplicate their success from Saturday, lost four of the six singles matches and fell 7-2 at St. Mary's. The loss drops the Cobbers' overall record to 3-5. CC is now 1-5 in conference play. The Cardinals improve to 7-6 in all matches and 3-6 in the MIAC.
The Cobbers stumbled early in the 9 a.m. match, losing all three doubles bouts. CC then stepped up their game in singles play and came away with a pair of victories.
Raquel Egge and Greta Reichmann picked up the wins for Concordia at the top and bottom of the lineup. Egge cruised to a straight set victory with a 6-3, 6-1 score line and No.1 singles. The win was her third of the year which ties teammates Jenna Forknell and Brianna Bell for the most singles wins.
Reichmann was involved a more dramatic victory at No.6 singles. She rolled to a 6-2 win in the first set but got locked into a back-and-forth battle in the second set. Neither player was able to come up with a late-set break and the set went to the tiebreaker. Reichmann claimed the victory in the set, and the match, by pulling away and winning 7-4. The win was Reichmann's first collegiate singles victory.
UP NEXT: Concordia will return home and host St. Benedict on Tuesday, Apr. 20 at 6:30 p.m. at Courts Plus in Fargo.
Saint Mary's University 7, Concordia-M'head 2
Apr 18, 2021 at Winona, Minn. (Winona Tennis Club)
1. Raquel Egge (CC) def. Colleen Lois (SMU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Natalie Peterson (SMU) def. Jenna Forknell (CC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Kennedy Morgan (SMU) def. Brianna Bell (CC) 6-3, 6-0
4. Zoie Becker (SMU) def. Emily Savageau (CC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Maddie Dosser (SMU) def. Anna Hacker (CC) 6-1, 6-3
6. Greta Reichmann (CC) def. Sarrianna Hoffer (SMU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
1. Colleen Lois/Natalie Peterson (SMU) def. Raquel Egge/Jenna Forknell (CC) 8-1
2. Kennedy Morgan/Kailee Johnson (SMU) def. Brianna Bell/Emily Savageau (CC) 8-2
3. Maggie Frye/Maddie Dosser (SMU) def. Anna Hacker/Greta Reichmann (CC) 8-1