A Tough Turnaround
FARGO, N.D. (2/23/20)---A short turnaround and a quality opponent led to a long morning for Concordia as the Cobbers lost a 9-0 decision in their home opener to unbeaten St. Catherine.
Concordia was playing their second conference match in less than 20 hours after having played at St. Benedict on Saturday. The Cobbers returned home on Saturday night and then faced the Wildcats at 10:30 on Sunday.
The loss drops Concordia's record to 2-4 on the season. CC is now 0-3 in MIAC play. St. Catherine wins for the third straight match to start the season and moves to 3-0 overall and 1-0 in the conference.
The closest matches in doubles and singles play came towards the top of the order. Junior Jenna Forknell was locked in to both of the close matches on the morning.
Forknell battled into the super tie-breaker at No.2 singles. She opened her match by getting a break of serve and posting a 6-4 win in the first set. Forknell then lost the second set 6-2 but regrouped in the tie-breaker. Both players played quality tennis in the tie-breaker and the match was won at then end as Forknell lost by a narrow 10-8 margin.
Freshman Raquel Egge lost the first collegiate singles match of her career. She fell 6-2, 6-3 at No.1 singles and is now 4-1 in all matches and 2-1 against conference opponents.
Forknell and Egge paired at No.1 doubles and had the closest score line of the three doubles bouts. The pair was never able to get a key break of service against Kelsey and Bri Dorr and lost 8-5.
UP NEXT: Concordia will now hit the road for their annual Florida spring break training trip. Before the team steps on the plane, they will play regionally-ranked Bethel in a conference match on Saturday, Feb. 29 at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis.
St. Catherine University 9, Concordia-Moorhead 0
02/23/2020 at Fargo, N.D. (Courts Plus)
1. Kelsey Dorr (SCU) def. Raquel Egge (CC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Sofia Walker (SCU) def. Jenna Forknell (CC) 4-6, 6-2, 10-8
3. Bri Dorr (SCU) def. Izzi Nankivel (CC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Alisha Wiedmeier (SCU) def. Carolyn Voss (CC) 6-1, 6-4
5. Maddy Knoll (SCU) def. Taylor Partington (CC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Ella Graham (SCU) def. Brianna Bell (CC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Kelsey Dorr/Bri Dorr (SCU) def. Raquel Egge/Jenna Forknell (CC) 8-5
2. Alisha Wiedmeier/Maddy Knoll (SCU) def. Carolyn Voss/Taylor Partington (CC) 8-1
3. Sofia Walker/Aubrey Eckstrom (SCU) def. Izzi Nankivel/Abby Westrum (CC) 8-2