SUPERIOR, Wisc. (2/16/20)—Less than 24 hours after a convincing win over St. Scholastica, Concordia fell just short on Sunday afternoon and dropped a 5-4 decision at Wis.-Superior.
The Cobbers sprinkled in wins in both doubles and singles but were unable to find a fifth point to get the win over the Yellowjackets.
Taylor Partington and Carrie Voss picked up their first win as a doubles team with an 8-7 (1) victory at No.2 doubles. Jenna Forknell and Raquel Egge battled back-and-forth in their match at No.1 doubles but wound up losing 8-6.
The top of the singles lineup for the Cobbers had a strong day. Egge earned her fourth consecutive win at No.1 singles by a score of 6-3, 7-6 (8). Egge is now 3-0 on the year which is the strongest start for a Cobber No.1 player since Andrea Rognlien posted a 4-0 start in 2012.
Forknell added a straight set win at No.2 singles as she cruised to a 6-2 6-4 victory over Alison Tollas. Forknell also has three singles wins on the season to match the team-high total of Egge.
Freshman Emily Savageau continued her undefeated early-season campaign with a 6-2, 6-2 win at No.6 singles. Like Egge and Forknell, Savageau also had three singles victories for the year.
The three other singles matches for Cobbers were also tight contests that could have gone either way.
Partington, who clinched the match against St. Scholastica pushed her opponent to three sets and was edged 10-8 in the super tie-breaker.
Carrie Voss had her second close match of the weekend. She pushed her opponent to a 7-5 set in the opener and then lost the second set 6-2.
Brianna Bell played hard at No.5 singles and dropped a close 6-3, 6-4 decsion.
UP NEXT: The Cobbers (2-2, 0-1 MIAC) look to build on a weekend of competitive tennis when they take on St. Ben's next Saturday, Feb 22 at 1 p.m. in Sartell. The Bennies are 1-0 on their spring season.
UW-Superior 5, Concordia-Moorhead 4
02/16/2020 at Superior, Wis. (Lydia Thering Fieldhouse)
1. Raquel Egge (CC) def. Maya Callaway (UWS) 6-3, 7-6 (10-8)
2. Jenna Forknell (CC) def. Alison Tollas (UWS) 6-2, 6-4
3. Emily Wald (UWS) def. Carolyn Voss (CC) 7-5, 6-2
4. Kitana Honkola (UWS) def. Taylor Partington (CC) 4-6, 6-3, 10-8
5. Breanna Wienen (UWS) def. Brianna Bell (CC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Emily Savageau (CC) def. Maura Halverson (UWS) 6-2, 6-2
1. Maya Callaway/Kitana Honkola (UWS) def. Raquel Egge/Jenna Forknell (CC) 8-6
2. Carolyn Voss/Taylor Partington (CC) def. Emily Wald/Maura Halverson (UWS) 8-7 (7-1)
3. Alison Tollas/Breanna Wienen (UWS) def. Abby Westrum/Emily Savageau (CC) 8-1