LAKEVILLE, Minn (2/1/20) --- Sofia Kenin's Australian Open victory wasn't the only dominant women's tennis performance on Saturday. The Cobbers dethroned Crown with a 9-0 victory on Saturday afternoon at Lifetime Fitness in Lakeville.
The win is the first in a season opener for the Cobbers since the 2012 season.
The Cobber sweep was a total team effort with eight players contributing to the non-conference victory.
Junior Jenna Forknell led the Cobbers with a 6-0,6-0 win at the No.1 singles spot. Sophomore Brianna Bell and freshman Emily Savageau also racked up double bagel wins at the No.5 and No.6 spots in the singles lineup.
The most exciting match of the day came at the No.4 singles spot where sophomore Taylor Partington earned a hard-fought win. After dropping the first set 6-1, Partington roared back to win the second set 6-3. In the deciding super-tiebreaker, Partington got up early and never looked back, winning the breaker 10-5.
"We were able to find different ways to win," second year head coach Zach Zitur said. "It was a great way to start the season."
FRESHMAN FRENZY: A trio of Cobber freshmen made their 2020 college tennis debut in the Cobber win over Crown.
Izzi Nankivel (West Fargo, ND) was solid throughout her 6-2, 6-2 win at No.2 singles and joined Savageau to earn singles wins for first-year players.
Raquel Egge (Minot, ND) teamed up within Forknell to get an 8-0 win at the No.1doubles spot. The No.2 doubles team of Nankivel and sophomore Carolyn Voss and the No.3 team of sophomores Partington and Abby Westrum followed suit with 8-0 wins of their own.
UP NEXT: Concordia will look to continue their success on Sunday, Feb. 9 when they take on St. Thomas at 2 p.m. at Lifetime Fitness in Eden Prairie. The Tommies are 1-0 on the year with a non-conference win over Wis.-Stout.
Concordia-Moorhead 9, Crown 0
Feb 02, 2020 at Lakeville, Minn. (Lakeville Fitness)
1. Jenna Forknell (CC) def. Lauren Sporleder (CROWN) 6-0, 6-1
2. Izzi Nankivel (CC) def. Courtney Gunderson (CROWN) 6-2, 6-2
3. Carolyn Voss (CC) def. Sierra Allison (CROWN) 6-4, 6-1
4. Taylor Partington (CC) def. Abby Engrav (CROWN) 1-6, 6-3, 10-5
5. Brianna Bell (CC) def. Nahomie Konzi (CROWN) 6-0, 6-0
6. Emily Savageau (CC) def. Abby Yates (CROWN) 6-0, 6-0
1. Jenna Forknell/Raquel Egge (CC) def. Lauren Sporleder/Courtney Gunderson (CROWN) 8-0
2. Izzi Nankivel/Carolyn Voss (CC) def. Sierra Allison/Abby Engrav (CROWN) 8-0
3. Taylor Partington/Abby Westrum (CC) def. Nahomie Konzi/Abby Yates (CROWN) 8-0
Saturday recaps sponsored by Bufffalo Wild Wings: Grab your friends and get to B-Dubs on Sunday nights for College Nights at 9 p.m. 50% off 1 food item with ID and $3 apps at the Buffalo Wild Wings located on Hwy 10 in Moorhead.