MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. (4/14/19)---Concordia claimed two singles wins but it wasn't enough as the Cobbers fell 6-3 to Hamline in a match played at the Baseline Tennis Center on the campus of the University of Minnesota.
Concordia trailed 2-1 after doubles play. The Cobbers' No.3 doubles team of Rachel Saxen and Carrie Voss was able to come away with an 8-6 victory. It was the first doubles win of the season for Saxen and Voss who were paired together for only the third time this season. They are now 1-2 on the year.
The Cobbers got their singles wins from two different players. Senior Lisa Neumann and Lexi Johnson earned victories at No.2 and No.4 singles. Neumann had to go to a super-set tie-breaker to record her win while Johnson was able to grab her victory in straight sets.
Neumann stumbled at the start of her singles bout at No.2 singles, losing 6-1 in the first set. She then rallied and posted a 7-5 win in set No.2 before closing out the match with a 10-6 win in the tie-breaker.
The win was Neumann's first victory in singles play against a conference opponent. She is now 6-8 overall in singles play and her six wins are tied for the team lead in singles victories on the year.
Johnson outlasted her opponent in the first set 7-5 and then rolled to a 6-2 victory to earn her firsr conference singles win. Johnson has four overall singles victories on the year.
UP NEXT: Concordia will close out the 2019 season with a pair of road matches. The Cobbers will play at St. Olaf on Thursday, Apr. 18 and then travel to St. Paul to take on St. Catherine on Friday, Apr. 26.
Hamline University 6, Concordia-M'head 3
Apr 14, 2019 at Minneapolis, MN (Baseline Tennis Center)
1. Courtney Fenech (HUW) def. Jenna Forknell (CC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Lisa Neumann (CC) def. Tess Rugg (HUW) 1-6, 7-5, 10-6
3. Natalie Pieterick (HUW) def. Brianna Bell (CC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Lexi Johnson (CC) def. Claire Witt (HUW) 7-5, 6-2
5. Megan Anderson (HUW) def. Rachel Saxen (CC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Taylor Hopkins (HUW) def. Abby Westrum (CC) 6-3, 6-2
1. Natalie Pieterick/Courtney Fenech (HUW) def. Jenna Forknell/Lexi Johnson (CC) 8-2
2. Claire Witt/Megan Anderson (HUW) def. Brianna Bell/Lisa Neumann (CC) 8-6
3. Rachel Saxen/Carrie Voss (CC) def. Jane Schwartz/Taylor Hopkins (HUW) 8-6