Busy Week Ends Against The Bennies
FARGO, N.D. (3/16/19)---Concordia capped a busy week by falling 8-1 to St. Benedict on Saturday at Courts Plus in Fargo. The Cobbers returned from Florida last weekend then battled through a blizzard which cost them a day of training and then had players come down with colds as they had their 1-match win streak come to an end.
Concordia entered the match having won two of their last four matches but dropped the decision in their first match back in Minnesota and are now 3-11 on the season. CC is 0-5 in conference play this year. St. Benedict wins its first conference match of the year and remains unbeaten as they up their overall mark to 8-0.
The Cobbers' lone win of the afternoon came at No.3 doubles where senior Lisa Neumann and freshman Rachel Saxen fought their way to an 8-6 win. The pair was strong from the baseline all match long and Saxen was able to use her solid serve game to close out the match.
Neumann and Saxen win for the fifth time in their last six matches and are now 6-4 in doubles play this season. The six doubles wins are the most by a CC tandem since Kelly Kalvoda and Chelsie McGraw won 10 back in 2012.
The closest singles match came at No.6 singles where freshman Brianna Bell fell behind early but then found her game and forced a tie-breaker in the second set only to drop a 6-3, 7-6 (5) decision. Bell leads the team with six singles wins on the year.
UP NEXT: Concordia will look to get back on the winning track when they hit the road and travel to Winona to take on St. Mary's on Sunday, Mar. 26. SMU is 5-5 in all matches and are 2-3 in conference play this year.
College of Saint Benedict 8, Concordia-M'head 1
3/16/2019 at Fargo, N.D. (Courts Plus)
1. Tessa Rahrick (CSB) def. Jenna Forknell (CC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Kayla McIver (CSB) def. Ivy Mattson (CC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Lily Fredericks (CSB) def. Lisa Neumann (CC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Erin Kolbow (CSB) def. Josie Beachy (CC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Mackenzie Schurhamer (CSB) def. Lexi Johnson (CC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Karsen Aune (CSB) def. Brianna Bell (CC) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
1. Lily Fredericks/Kayla McIver (CSB) def. Jenna Forknell/Ivy Mattson (CC) 8-3
2. Tessa Rahrick/Erin Kolbow (CSB) def. Lexi Johnson/Josie Beachy (CC) 8-3
3. Lisa Neumann/Rachel Saxen (CC) def. Mackenzie Schurhamer/Karsen Aune (CSB) 8-6