Cobbers Serve Up 2019 Openers
MOORHEAD, Minn. (2/02/19)---Concordia kicked off their 2019 by staying at home and squaring off against top-level competition. The new-look Cobbers faced DII MSU Moorhead on Friday and regionally-ranked Carleton on Saturday and fell by similar 9-0 scores in matched played at Courts Plus in Fargo.
While the overall team scores didn't indicate improvement over last season, it was the individual match scores that provided some success for Concordia. CC lost by identical 9-0 scores last year but won fewer individual games in 2018.
On Friday Concordia battled MSU Moorhead who finished third in the NSIC last season. The Cobbers' best doubles showing came at the No.2 match where sophomores Josie Beachy and Lexi Johnson dropped an 8-2 decision.
In singles play it was senior Lisa Neumann who showed the energy as she took a pair of games in each set in her match at No.3 singles.
Concordia had to turn around and face Carleton in their MIAC opener less than 24 hours later. The Cobbers came away with seven games won in doubles play which was one more than they took last year against the Knights.
This year's No.1 doubles tandem of Jenna Forknell and Ivy Mattson lost 8-3 which was one game better than last year's bout at No.1 doubles.
Freshman Brianna Bell battled through the closest singles match as she fell 6-3, 6-3 at No.6 singles. Last year the Cobbers lost the No.6 singles bout 6-0, 6-1.
UP NEXT: Concordia will continue their 7-match home stand to start the season when they host St. Thomas on Sunday, Feb. 10 at 4 p.m. at Courts Plus in Fargo.
MSU Moorhead 9, Concordia-M'head 0
Feb 01, 2019 at Fargo, N.D. (Courts Plus)
1. Geske, Julia (MSUM) def. Jenna Forknell (CC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Yuen, Lorissa (MSUM) def. Ivy Mattson (CC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Nguyen, Rachel (MSUM) def. Lisa Neumann (CC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Konecne, Alexis (MSUM) def. Josie Beachy (CC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Keelin, Olivia (MSUM) def. Lexi Johnson (CC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Kornblum, Jalyn (MSUM) def. Rachel Saxen (CC) 6-0, 6-2
1. Geske, Julia/Keelin, Olivia (MSUM) def. Ivy Mattson/Jenna Forknell (CC) 8-0
2. Nguyen, Rachel/Yuen, Lorissa (MSUM) def. Josie Beachy/Lexi Johnson (CC) 8-2
3. Konecne, Alexis/Wood, Emma (MSUM) def. Lisa Neumann/Rachel Saxen (CC) 8-1