Tough Schedule Stetch Continues At Gustavus
ST. PETER, Minn. (3/07/14)—Concordia continued their stretch of playing nationally-ranked and perennial powerhouse programs as they lost 9-0 at regionally-ranked Gustavus.
The Cobbers finished off their Florida spring break trip by falling to NAIA nationally-ranked Davenport, NCAA Division I Mount St. Mary's and regionally-ranked Coe. Concordia then headed north and squared off against the Gusties on Saturday.
"The schedule hasn't been really kind to us in the last four matches," commented head coach Steve Futchko. "We were starting to find some momentum in our match vs. Alma and then ran into four really good teams. I think the play against tough competition will help us later in the season – we just need to play through this tough stretch."
One of the bright spots of the season has been the play of sophomore Brittany Glatt who has stepped into the No.1 singles spot and has held her own against national-caliber competition. Despite only having one singles win on the year, Glatt has battled every opponent and her match at No.1 singles against Gustavus was no exception. She wound up losing 6-1, 6-2 and earned the most game wins of any CC individual in the match.
The top doubles bout was turned in by the No.3 tandem of Morgan Sawatzke and Rose Reinert. The duo was playing in their first match as a doubles team and fought to an 8-3 loss. Reinert has been the most successful doubles player for CC this year. She is tied for the team lead for the most doubles victories and has won the most doubles games of any player on the squad.
Concordia will continue with their ranked team streak when they play at regionally-ranked St. Thomas on Saturday, Mar. 15 at 11 a.m. CC will finally get a break from the ranked competition when they play at St. Mary's on Sunday, Mar. 16 at 9 a.m.
Gustavus Adolphus College 9, Concordia-Moorhead 0
Mar 8, 2014 at St. Peter, Minn. (Swanson Tennis Center)
1. Michaela Schulz (GAC) def. Brittany Glatt (CC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Laurel Krebsbach (GAC) def. Kaitlyn Davies (CC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Sidney Dirks (GAC) def. Jade Haseltine (CC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Aryn Eckstrom (GAC) def. Morgan Sawatzke (CC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Calleigh Carlson (GAC) def. Emily Combs (CC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Samantha Silcox (GAC) def. Rose Reinert (CC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Annie Mahoney/Lizzy Stancyk (GAC) def. Jade Haseltine/Brittany Glatt (CC) 8-0
2. Calleigh Carlson/Sidney Dirks (GAC) def. Kaitlyn Davies/Emily Combs (CC) 8-0
3. Samantha Silcox/Aryn Eckstrom (GAC) def. Morgan Sawatzke/Rose Reinert (CC) 8-3
Gustavus Adolphus College 4-1