Singles Success Can't Overcome Doubles Stumble
FARGO, N.D. (3/10/12)—Concordia was done in by doubles play on Saturday against St. Kate's. The Cobbers dropped all three doubles bouts and fell 5-4 to the Wildcats at Courts Plus in Fargo. CC rallied to take four of the six singles matches but it wasn't enough to climb out of the 3-0 hole.
Concordia (5-5/0-4 MIAC) opened the day by falling in all three doubles matches. The Cobbers could not win the big points in all three matches as they struggle to connect on volleys at the net.
The complexion of the match changed in singles play as Concordia started to win key points and had a pair of super-set tie-breakers go their way. The biggest win for CC came at No.5 singles where Chelsie McGraw overcame a 6-1 defeat in the opening set to post a 1-6, 7-5, 10-5 win. Head coach Troy Hanestad praised the play of McGraw by saying, "Chelsie had a career match and a great comeback. She played great defense and did a nice job of transitioning when she had opportunities."
The other tie-breaker win for the Cobbers in singles play came from Kelly Kalvoda who recorded a 6-2, 4-6, 10-8 win at No.6 singles. Kalvoda used her big serve to go along with a solid forehand game to earn her fifth win of the season.
Senior Andrea Rognlien and freshman Emma Koskiniemi came away with the other two singles wins for CC. Rognlien continued her stellar senior season by cruising to a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles. Rognlien is now 9-1 on the season with her only loss coming at the hands of a Division I opponent. Koskiniemi had a breakthrough performance at No.4 singles. She won in straight sets 6-3, 7-5 and has now won four of her last five matches. "Emma did a great job dictating play and was much stronger mentally," said Hanestad.
Concordia will step away from conference play when they square off against a pair of non-conference foes on Saturday, Mar. 17 in Sartell. CC will face Southwest MN State at 10 a.m. and they play St. Cloud State at 1:30 p.m. Both matches will be played at Gold's Gym in Sartell.
St. Catherine University vs Concordia-Moorhead
Mar 10, 2012 at Fargo, N.D.
St. Catherine University 5, Concordia-Moorhead 4
1. Andrea Rognlien (CC) def. Michaela Burroughs (SCU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Maria Koval (SCU) def. Julie Olson (CC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Lauren Beadnell (SCU) def. Andrea Koskiniemi (CC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Emma Koskiniemi (CC) def. Mackenzie Weber (SCU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Chelsie McGraw (CC) def. Angie Lorenzen (SCU) 1-6, 7-5, 10-5
6. Kelly Kalvoda (CC) def. April Fard (SCU) 6-2, 4-6, 10-8
1. Michaela Burroughs/Maria Koval (SCU) def. Andrea Rognlien/Emma Koskiniemi (CC) 8-4
2. Lauren Beadnell/Angie Lorenzen (SCU) def. Julie Olson/Andrea Koskiniemi (CC) 8-3
3. Mackenzie Weber/April Fard (SCU) def. Taylor Peterson/Kelly Kalvoda (CC) 8-2
St. Catherine University 4-3/2-3 MIAC
Concordia-Moorhead 5-5/0-4 MIAC