Upperclassmen Lead By Example In Win
DULUTH, Minn. (2/04/12)-- Concordia won four singles matches and went on to beat St. Scholastica 6-3 in the 2012 season opener. The victory earns a measure of revenge from last season when the Cobbers dropped a heartbreaking 5-4 decision to the Saints.
Concordia's upperclassmen led by example as three of the four singles wins were earned by seniors and juniors. Senior Andrea Rognlien and junior Chelsie McGraw earned straight-set victories in singles play while senior Kelly Kalvoda came away with a win in the super-set tie-breaker in the closest match of the day. All three also recorded wins in doubles play.
Rognlien started her final year with a 6-4, 6-2 win at No.1 singles. For Rognlien it was her 2th career win at Concordia. McGraw won 7-5, 6-3 at No.5 singles after playing equally at No.4, 5 and 6 singles last season. Kalvoda lost the first set in her match at No.6 singles but then came back to post a 6-2 victory in the second set. She then needed to go to extra points in the super-set tie-breaker and eventually won 13-11.
The final singles win was captured by freshman Emma Koskiniemi. Playing in her first collegiate match, Emma Koskiniemi won 6-1, 6-3 at No.4 singles.
Rognlien and Emma Koskiniemi also grabbed an 8-4 win at No.1 doubles as they paired for the first time in their careers. The other doubles victory came from McGraw and Kalvoda who won 8-2 at No.3 doubles.
Concordia will return to Moorhead to host their 2012 home, and conference, opener on Saturday, Feb. 12 when they square off against St. Olaf at 5 p.m. at Courts Plus in Fargo.
Concordia-Moorhead 6, St. Scholastica 3
Feb 04, 2012 at Duluth, MN
1. Andrea Rognlien (CC) def. Hillary Bungarden (CSS) 6-4, 6-2
2. Rachael Zweiner (CSS) def. Julie Olson (CC) 6-4, 7-5
3. Alexis Gunderson (CSS) def. Andrea Koskiniemi (CC) 6-2, 6-3
4. Emma Koskiniemi (CC) def. Alek Ochrymowicz (CSS) 6-1, 6-3
5. Chelsie McGraw (CC) def. Cortne Solberg (CSS) 7-5, 6-3
6. Kelly Kalvoda (CC) def. Megan Lawrence (CSS) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (13-11)
1. Andrea Rognlien/Emma Koskiniemi (CC) def. Hillary Bungarden/Alexis Gunderson (CSS) 8-4
2. Cortne Solberg/Rachael Zweiner (CSS) def. Julie Olson/Andrea Koskiniemi (CC) 8-3
3. Kelly Kalvoda/Chelsie McGraw (CC) def. Jill Kammerer/Allie Carlson (CSS) 8-2
St. Scholastica 0-1