A Pair Of Chilly Conference Wins
MOORHEAD, Minn. (3/25/12)—Concordia used their first outside home match to catapult to their first two conference victories of the season. The Cobbers beat Macalester 7-2 on Saturday and then downed St. Mary's 6-3 on Sunday.
Concordia used stellar double play to jump to early leads in both matches and then went on to win the majority of the singles bouts to earn their second and third straight victories. The Cobbers are now 8-6 overall and 2-4 in the MIAC. The two conference wins pushes them into seventh place in the league standings.
The Cobbers warmed the cold weather on Saturday by easing past Macalester. The win came despite the fact that the CC No.1 doubles team started off the match with a loss. That deficit was quickly erased as Julie Olson and Andrea Koskiniemi won 9-7 at No.2 doubles and then Chelsie McGraw and Kelly Kalvoda earned an 8-6 win at No.3 doubles.
The two wins in doubles gave Concordia a boost of momentum heading into singles play. The Cobbers then won five of the six singles matches to earn the five-point overall team win. Andrea Rognlien, Andrea Koskiniemi, McGraw and Kalvoda all recorded straight set wins while Emma Koskiniemi won 10-8 in the super-set tie-breaker after dropping the opening set of her match at No.4 singles.
Sunday's match against St. Mary's was moved inside due to the cold temperatures. Despite the new location, the Cobbers once again won two of the three doubles matches and then rolled in singles play. For the second straight day it was CC's No.2 and No.3 doubles teams that earned crucial points.
The top four Concordia singles players all picked up wins to give the Cobbers the 6-3 win. The two biggest matches came at No.3 and No.4 where the CC twins Andrea and Emma Koskiniemi both won in the super-set tie-breaker. Julie Olson also won at No.2 singles and Rognlien completed her singles weekend sweep by posting a 6-3, 6-3 win at No.1 singles. Rognlien, who has won eight straight matches, remains unbeaten in MIAC play this season. She is 12-1 in all matches and 6-0 against league foes.
Concordia will put their three-match winning streak on the line when they play at Bethel on Friday, Mar. 30 at 4 p.m.
Macalester vs Concordia-Moorhead
Mar 24, 2012 at Moorhead, Minn.
Concordia-Moorhead 7, Macalester 2
1. Andrea Rognlien (CC) def. Katelyn Glenna (MAC) 6-0, 6-3
2. Paige Schaefer (MAC) def. Julie Olson (CC) 6-1, 6-3
3. Andrea Koskiniemi (CC) def. Alicia Roopchand (MAC) 6-3, 6-1
4. Emma Koskiniemi (CC) def. Carmen Whitehead (MAC) 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
5. Chelsie McGraw (CC) def. Gabby Queenan (MAC) 6-0, 6-3
6. Kelly Kalvoda (CC) def. Lucy Miner (MAC) 6-1, 6-4
1. Katelyn Glenna/Carmen Whitehead (MAC) def. Andrea Rognlien/Emma Koskiniemi (CC) 8-3
2. Julie Olson/Andrea Koskiniemi (CC) def. Paige Schaefer/Alicia Roopchand (MAC) 9-7
3. Chelsie McGraw/Kelly Kalvoda (CC) def. Gabby Queenan/Lucy Miner (MAC) 8-6
Macalester 7-8/0-6 MIAC
Concordia-Moorhead 7-6/1-4 MIAC