Borchard Continues Win Streak Against Unbeaten St. Catherine
FARGO, N.D. (03/18/22)---Erin Borchard continued her outstanding first-year season as she posted wins in both her singles and doubles matches in the Cobbers' 6-3 loss against unbeaten St. Catherine.
The 6-3 defeat marks a decided improvement for Concordia over the last two matches with the Wildcats. CC dropped 9-0 decisions against St. Kate's in both 2020 and 2021. The three match wins for the Cobbers are the most against the Wildcats since the 2012 season.
The loss drops Concordia season record to 4-7 in all matches. CC is 0-5 in the MIAC this year. St. Kate's is now 4-0 overall and 3-0 against conference opponents.
Borchard started her 2-0 night by pairing with fellow first-year player Katie Miller to win 8-6 at No.3 doubles. It was only the second doubles match of the year for Borchard. She has partnered with Miller in both her doubles matches and the tandem is now 2-0.
Borchard then turned her attention to singles play where she was one of two CC players to win matches. She breezed to a 6-2, 6-1 win at No.6 singles to post her team-leading fifth win of the year. Borchard has now won five straight matches after dropping her college debut on Feb. 26.
The other singles win for the Cobbers came in the No.5 slot where first-year player Lizzie Allan also won in straight sets. She breezed to a 6-1 victory in the opener, but then bad to battle in the second set. Allan made sure the match wouldn't go to the super-set tie-breaker by claiming a 7-1 win the second-set, tie-breaker.
The other singles match that could have gone either way came at No.4 singles. First-year player Mary Skorich opened the match by winning the opener 6-2. She then lost 7-5 in a thrilling second set, and dropped a 10-7 score line in the super-set.
UP NEXT: Concordia will finish off its 2-match, home weekend when they host St. Mary's on Sunday, Mar. 20 at 9 a.m. at Courts Plus.
St. Catherine University 6, Concordia-M'head 3
03/18/2022 at Fargo, N.D. (Courts Plus)
1. Kelsey Dorr (SCU) def. Raquel Egge (CC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Sofia Walker (SCU) def. Emily Savageau (CC) 6-4, 6-1
3. Bri Dorr (SCU) def. Anna Hacker (CC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Elsa Joly (SCU) def. Mary Skorich (CC) 2-6, 7-5, 10-7
5. Lizzie Allan (CC) def. Reilee Schepper (SCU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Erin Borchard (CC) def. Noelle Slezak (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Kelsey Dorr/Sofia Walker (SCU) def. Raquel Egge/Mary Skorich (CC) 8-3
2. Bri Dorr/Monica Zink (SCU) def. Emily Savageau/Anna Hacker (CC) 8-1
3. Erin Borchard/Katie Miller (CC) def. Elsa Joly/Reilee Schepper (SCU) 8-6