ROGERS, Minn. (4/17/21)---Eventually it was going to end – and on Saturday, the Cobbers' conference losing streak came to a glorious halt.
Concordia won all six singles matches, two of the three doubles bouts and rolled to an 8-1 win over Hamline at the Rogers Tennis Club. While the conference losing skid came to a halt, the Cobbers were able to extend their current win streak.
The conference victory is the first for CC since the 2012 season. A streak that had reached over 70 matches. That is all in the past for the Cobbers as they continue to improve throughout the 2021 season and have now won three straight matches. The 3-match win streak is the longest since the 2012 season.
CC led 2-1 heading into the single portion of the match after Raquel Egge and Jenna Forknell won 8-4 at No.1 doubles and Anna Hacker and Greta Reichmann claimed an 8-1 victory at No.3 doubles.
With the team match hanging in the balance on singles play, the six CC singles players made sure there would be no close, but not quite, result. The Top 5 singles matches were all settled in straight sets as Concordia rolled to the lopsided win.
Egge and Forknell had identical wins of 6-3 and 6-4 at the Top 2 spots. Brianna Bell won 6-2, 6-3 at No. 3 singles while Carolyn Voss recorded a 6-1, 6-1 victory at No.4 singles and Emily Savageau posted a decisive 6-1, 6-2 win at No.5 singles.
The only match left on the court was No.6 singles where Hacker went to the super-set tiebreaker to record the eighth win of the day for CC. Hacker won 7-5 in the opening set but then fell 6-1 before rebounding to win 10-8 in the tiebreaker.
Bell and Forknell lead the team in singles wins this year. Both players have 3-3 marks – and both have won three straight matches. Hacker, Savageau and Voss have all posted back-to-back wins.
The doubles teams of Egge and Forknell and Hacker and Reichmann have won three straight bouts and lead CC with three wins on the year.
UP NEXT: Concordia will have little time to celebrate the conference victory. They are back in action on Sunday, Apr. 18 when they take on St. Mary's in Winona at 9 a.m.
Concordia-M'head 8, Hamline 1
4/17/2021 at Rogers, MN (Rogers Tennis Club)
1. Raquel Egge (CC) def. Elise Bierbaum (HU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Jenna Forknell (CC) def. Taylor Vyskocil (HU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Brianna Bell (CC) def. Lily Vang (HU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Carolyn Voss (CC) def. Taylor Hopkins (HU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Emily Savageau (CC) def. Janie Schwartz (HU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Anna Hacker (CC) def. Jersi McAlpine (HU) 7-5, 1-6, 10-8
1. Raquel Egge/Jenna Forknell (CC) def. Elise Bierbaum/Taylor Hopkins (HU) 8-4
2. Lily Vang/Taylor Vyskocil (HU) def. Emily Savageau/Carolyn Voss (CC) 8-7
3. Anna Hacker/Greta Reichmann (CC) def. Janie Schwartz/Bae Wa (HU) 8-1