FARGO, N.D. (4/11/21)---Concordia captured five of the six singles matches and rolled to their second straight non-conference victory. The Cobbers also won two of the three doubles matches to beat St. Scholastica 7-2 on Sunday.
The Cobbers got the ball rolling towards their second straight win in the three doubles matches. CC won two of the three bouts and was a tie-breaker away from sweeping all three bouts.
The freshman tandem of Anna Hacker and Greta Reichmann posted the first win of the day when they completed an 8-2 victory at No.3 doubles. The Cobber No.1 doubles team of Raquel Egge and Jenna Forknell was close behind and finished with an 8-4 win. Carolyn Voss and Emily Savageau played in the most dramatic doubles match of the day. They battled game-by-game and finally lost 8-7 in the tie-breaker.
Voss and Savageau turned around in singles play and made sure they wouldn't have to go to another tie-breaker. Voss claimed a 6-0, 6-4 win at No.4 singles while Savageau came away with a 6-1, 6-4 victory at No.5 singles.
Brianna Bell, who was named the ITA Division III Player of the Week on Mar. 31, kept up her solid play with a 6-3, 6-1 win at No.3 singles.
Forknell and Hacker were the two double winners on the day for the Cobbers. After her win at No.1 doubles, Forknell cruised to a 6-1, 6-4 victory at No.2 singles. Like her doubles match, Hacker finished first as she posted a pair of bagel wins with a 6-0, 6-0 score line at No.6 singles.
UP NEXT: Concordia will hope to continue their winning ways when they head back to conference play next weekend. The Cobbers will play at Hamline on Saturday, Apr. 17 at the Rogers Tennis Club. The Pipers are 1-5 in all matches and 0-3 in MIAC play this year.
Concordia (MN) 7, St. Scholastica 2
4/11/2021 at Fargo, ND (Courts Plus)
1. Julia Maier (CSS) def. Raquel Egge (CC) 6-3, 6-4
2. Jenna Forknell (CC) def. Madilyn Jankila (CSS) 6-1, 6-4
3. Brianna Bell (CC) def. Ava Warren (CSS) 6-3, 6-1
4. Carolyn Voss (CC) def. Julia Ellefson (CSS) 6-0, 6-4
5. Emily Savageau (CC) def. Maria Valentini (CSS) 6-1, 6-4
6. Anna Hacker (CC) def. Emily Carpenter (CSS) 6-0, 6-0
1. Raquel Egge/Jenna Forknell (CC) def. Julia Maier/Madilyn Jankila (CSS) 8-4
2. Ava Warren/Emily Carpenter (CSS) def. Carolyn Voss/Emily Savageau (CC) 8-7 (7-2)
3. Anna Hacker/Greta Reichmann (CC) def. Hannah Loewen/Julia Ellefson (CSS) 8-2
RECAP SPONSOR: Today's recap sponsor is 702 Communications. Cobber athletics would like to thank 702 Communications for their continued support of Concordia student/athletes.