SARTELL, Minn. (2/22/20)-- Freshman Raquel Egge continued the electric start to her college career as she earned the lone win in the Cobbers' 8-1 loss to St. Benedict on Saturday in Sartell.
Egge dropped the first set in her match at No.1 singles 6-4 but then roared back to win the second set 6-3. She carried that momentum into the super tie-breaker and eased her way to a 10-6 victory.
The win puts Egge at 4-0 on the year in her spot at No.1 singles. It is the strongest start from a No.1 singles player the Cobbers have seen since Andrea Roglien had a highly successful season in 2012.
Concordia players put up a fight in multiple other matches. The No.1 doubles team of Egge and Jenna Forknell dropped a tight 8-5 contest to Tessa Rahrick and Lily Fredricks of the Bennies. In singles play, sophomore Brianna Bell battled in her match at No.6 but dropped a tight 6-2, 6-4 decision to Maria Bedford.
INSIDE STAT INFO: Raquel Egge leads the team with four singles wins on the year and three of those have come in the super tie-breaker. She has won two straight matches in the super tie-breaker. Last weekend she won against the No.1 singles player from Wis.-Superior at 10-8 in the super.
UP NEXT: The Cobbers (2-3, 0-2 MIAC) look to rebound on Sunday morning (Feb. 23) as they take on St. Kates in their home opener at 10:30 a.m. at Court Plus in Fargo. The Wildcats are 2-0 on the year.
College of Saint Benedict 8, Concordia-Moorhead 1
2/22/2020 at Sartell, Minn. (Sta-Fit)
1. Raquel Egge (CC) def. Tessa Rahrick (CSB) 4-6, 6-3, 10-6
2. Lily Fredericks (CSB) def. Jenna Forknell (CC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Kayla McIver (CSB) def. Izzi Nankivel (CC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Grace Lee (CSB) def. Carolyn Voss (CC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Anne Bowe (CSB) def. Taylor Partington (CC) 6-4, 6-0
6. Maria Bedford (CSB) def. Brianna Bell (CC) 6-2, 6-4
1. Tessa Rahrick/Lily Fredericks (CSB) def. Raquel Egge/Jenna Forknell (CC) 8-5
2. Kayla McIver/Anne Bowe (CSB) def. Carolyn Voss/Taylor Partington (CC) 8-1
3. Mackenzie Schurhamer/Maria Bedford (CSB) def. Izzi Nankivel/Abby Westrum (CC) 8-2