A First And A Last
MOORHEAD, Minn. (4/28/18)---Concordia chalked up a first and a last against non-conference opponent Martin Luther.
The Cobbers played their first outside match of the northern part of the schedule in their last match of the year. CC couldn't overcome a 3-0 doubles deficit and lost 7-2 to the Vikings.
The No.1 and No.3 doubles matches were both settled by four or fewer games. The closest doubles bout came at No.3 where Lexi Johnson and Charlene Allmer fell 8-6.
Concordia earned their two points from two of the top 3 singles players. Senior Kendra Stoick finished off her career in style as she won in straight sets 7-6 (4), 6-0 at No.2 singles. She fought through a back-and-forth first set and eventually came out in the tie-breaker. She then used that momentum to blank her opponent in the second set.
Junior Lisa Neumann also won in straight sets but she was able to take control of her match at No.3 singles from the first serve. Neumann routinely hit winners from the baseline and cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 victory.
The other tight singles match came at No.1 where Cobber freshman Jenna Forknell couldn't come up with a break of serve and fell 6-3, 6-3.
SUCCESSFUL STOICK SENDOFF: Kendra Stoick earned her fourth singles win of the year which is a single-season career high. The four wins is one more than she had last season.
NEUMANN NICE: Lisa Neumann finished second on the team in singles wins in 2018. She also had a career-high victory total. Neumann won six matches this year which doubled her total from 2017.
Martin Luther 7, Concordia-M'head 2
Apr 28, 2018 at Moorhead, Minn. (Jake Christiansen Athletic Complex)
1. Anna Hemmelman (MLC) def. Jenna Forknell (CC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Kendra Stoick (CC) def. Rachel Riediger (MLC) 7-6 (7-4), 6-0
3. Lisa Neumann (CC) def. Rachel Schewe (MLC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Morgan Shevey (MLC) def. Lexi Johnson (CC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Sophia Birner (MLC) def. Irini Lagoggiani (CC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Ella Loersch (MLC) def. Charlene Allmer (CC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Anna Hemmelman/Rachel Riediger (MLC) def. Kendra Stoick/Lisa Neumann (CC) 8-4
2. Rachel Schewe/Morgan Shevey (MLC) def. Jenna Forknell/Josie Beachy (CC) 8-1
3. Sophia Birner/Ella Loersch (MLC) def. Lexi Johnson/Charlene Allmer (CC) 8-6