Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Cobber players celebrate the team's second goal of the game scored by freshman Amber Weibye in Concordia's 3-1 win over Minn.-Crookston.
Cobber players celebrate the team's second goal of the game scored by freshman Amber Weibye in Concordia's 3-1 win over Minn.-Crookston.

Sunny Second Half Secures First Win

MOORHEAD, Minn. (9/08/21)---Concordia got offensive in the second half in their non-conference game against Minn.-Crookston and came away with a 3-1 win. The Cobbers had only one shot in the opening period of play but then stepped up their attack game, put up nine shots in the second half and earned their first win of the year.

The Cobbers broke open the game with a pair of goals 4:07 apart in the middle of the second period and held the Golden Eagles to only two shots for the final 45 minutes of play to secure the 2-goal victory.

Concordia opened the scoring in the 10th minute of play after a foul was called on a Crookston defender for tripping Lauren Tschider in the middle of the field. Tschider got up, sprinted towards the back of the UMC defense and freshman Amber Weibye played the free kick behind the defense, and in the path of Tschider. Tschider was able to break free down the right wing and crossed the ball into the goalmouth where Samantha Holmberg ran on to the pass and 1-timed it into the goal. Holmberg's goal at 9:47 was the third of her career.

Crookston would tie the game in the 26th minute of play, and the teams would head to the break deadlocked at 1-1.

Weiybe gave Concordia a 2-1 lead at the 61:06 mark when she scored her first collegiate goal. Weiybe threw the ball in to Samantha Dalsin on the right wing at the top of the UMC penalty box and Dalsin was able to play the ball directly back to Weibye. Weibye then curled the ball over the top of the Golden Eagle goalie and into the far left side netting.

The insurance marker came at 65:13 after CC was awarded a corner kick. Junior Megan Barnick went to the kick from the left side of the goal and proceeded to curl the ball into the goal, just in front of the Crookston goalie who was being challenged by Cobber defender Hallie Thompson. The referee deemed the ball to have crossed over the goal line and Barnick was credited for her second career goal.

The Cobber defense didn't allow a shot for the final 25 minutes of play as CC was able to play most of the second half in the Crookston end of the field.

Concordia finished the game with a 10-7 edge in total shots and a 7-5 lead in shots on goal. Tschider and Holmberg led CC with three shots each.

Sophomore goalie Bre Nelson stopped four shots to pick up her first collegiate victory.

UP NEXT: Concordia will finish off their 5-game homestand by hosting the annual Cobber Invite. CC will face Minn.-Morris on Friday, Sept. 10 and then play Neb. Wesleyan on Sunday, Sept. 12.