Glass Is Half Full In Opener

Cobber players scramble for the puck as it lays by the St. Mary's goal at the start of overtime in CC's 0-0 tie with the Cardinals.
Cobber players scramble for the puck as it lays by the St. Mary's goal at the start of overtime in CC's 0-0 tie with the Cardinals.

MOORHEAD, Minn. (2/06/21)--- Your take on the Cobbers' first game of the season depends on whether you are a "glass is half full" person or if you have a "glass is half empty" personality. If your glass is half full then Concordia's 0-0 overtime tie in the season opener was a promising start that showcased the Cobbers' defense and stellar play of sophomore netminder Kiana Flaig. If your glass is half full then you will focus on the missed chances despite CC outshooting the Cardinals by over a 2-to-1 margin.

Whatever color your glasses are, the one thing that was evident on Saturday is that Concordia was able to outplay St. Mary's and hold a considerable advantage in offensive zone time. The Cobbers outshot SMU in all three periods, including a 7-4 margin in the 5-minute overtime period.

GAME RECAP: Concordia started slowly but then gained offensive momentum in the second period and kept piling it on the St. Mary's goal. CC held a 6-4 edge in shots in the opening period but then went on a 22-6 shooting spree over the next 40 minutes of play and finished with a 35-14 advantage.

A pair of Concordia's best chances came in the final minute of the third period and the first minute of the overtime session. The Cobbers were able to get the puck deep in the Cardinals' zone at the 1-minute mark and fired several shots at the goal. The offensive flurry led to one of the DMU defensive players purposely pushing the goal off the moorings to stop the pressure which led to a penalty for delay of game. Concordia kept up the offensive threat in the final 50 seconds of regulation and were almost rewarded in the first 60 seconds of OT but somehow the puck was kept out on a goalmouth scramble that featured several players on the ice around the crease.

THE FLAIG SHIP: Flaig kicked off her sophomore season where she left off as a freshman. She turned aside all 14 shots she faced to record her second career shutout. Her first bagel came in the second game of last season when she blanked Northland. Flaig finished her first collegiate season with a 2.90 GAA and was surprisingly left off the MIAC All-Rookie Team.

MOVE OVER JOHN CARLSON: Cobber senior defensive player Callie Fagerstrom led all players with eight shots on goal. That was almost double the next player. Fagerstrom started slowly with only two shots in the first two periods but then put up three shots in each of the third an OT sessions and had a couple of open chances from between the faceoff circles. Her eight shots on goal is a career high. Fargerstrom, who only played in 11 games last year due to an injury, averaged 61.5 shots in her first two seasons in maroon and gold and led CC defensive players during that stretch.

UP NEXT: Concordia have a week before their second conference game. The Cobbers will play their first road game when they play at St. Ben's on Saturday, Feb. 13 at 7 p.m. The Bennies are 0-1 this year with a 3-1 loss to Hamline.
RECAP SPONSOR: Today's recap sponsor is Travelodge. Travelodge has been a huge partner for Cobber athletics and always provides first-class accommodations for Cobber family and fans.