Cobbers Drop MIAC Opener

Junior Megan Mohr scored the game-tying goal in the third period of the Cobbers' series opener at St. Mary's.
Junior Megan Mohr scored the game-tying goal in the third period of the Cobbers' series opener at St. Mary's.

WINONA, Minn. (11/15/19)---Concordia skated to a 2-0 lead at the start of the second period but then conceded three of the final four goals to St. Mary's and lost 4-3 in the MIAC opener for both schools.

The loss ends the Cobbers' 2-game win streak and evens their season record at 2-2-0. The Cardinals win for the first time this year and move to 1-3-0.

Sophomore Libby Hinrichs started the scoring when she netted her first collegiate goal at 6:34 of the first period. Amanda Flemming picked up the assist on the play.

The teams skated through the first period with the score still at 1-0 in favorite of CC. The Cardinals held a 12-6 edge in shots on goal as freshman goalie Kiana Flaig continued her stellar play between the pipes for the Cobbers.

Senior Ally Wiitala doubled the Concordia lead when she notched her team-leading second goal of the year in the second minute of the second period. Flemming added her second assist of the game and Kaitlyn Page picked up her team-leading third helper of the year.

St. Mary's then changed the momentum in the game in a span of 1:09 starting at the 3:22 mark. They scored a pair of goals in that time span to tie the game at 2-2 and get their energy back in the game.

The Cardinals took their first lead of the game at the 16:56 mark of the second period and took the 3-2 lead into the third frame.

Concordia tried to come up with the game-tying goal in the first 15 minutes of the final period but couldn't find the back of the net.  That changed when CC was awarded a power play at the 15:58 mark. Megan Mohr tied the game with an unassisted power play goal at the 16:41 mark.     

The tie game wouldn't last long as St. Mary's was able to come up with the game winner at 17:11.

The Cobbers had a chance to come up with a second equalizer when they were staked to another power play chance at the 17:41. CC had three shots before pulling Flaig in favor of an extra attacker at the 18:50 mark. Concordia wasn't able to put another shot on goal in the final 51-seconds of the man-advantage and fell 4-3.

The Cardinals held a slight 32-26 edge in shots on goal. Flemming, Mohr and Jordie Egerdahl all had four shots to lead CC.

Flaig finished the game with 28 saves.

Concordia went 2-for-4 on the power play while St. Mary's was 1-for-3. CC was whistled for four penalties and the Cardinals had six infractions.

UP NEXT: The two teams will finish the 2-game series on Saturday, Nov. 15 at 2 p.m. in Winona.