BLOOMINGTON, Minn. (4/25/21)---Concordia traveled to Bloomington to battle in their next-to-last match of the season on Sunday. The Cobbers fought through doubles play and into singles competition, but wound up losing 9-0 to Macalester at the Lifetime Fitness Center in Bloomington.
The Top 2 doubles bouts were well played throughout, but unfortunately for the Cobbers, neither team could sustain their play for the full match. Cole Gillespie and Shota Oda lost 8-3 at No.1 singles and the No.2 doubles squad of Kipton Jenson and Eli Simonson also dropped an 8-3 decision.
Concordia had four of their six singles players earn game victories in both sets. The closest match in singles play came at the No.5 spot where senior Jake Peters started slowly, and lost 6-1 in the opener. He then rallied and held serve on several occasion but lost the second set 6-3.
Oda, Sean Martin and Simonson also had game wins in both sets of their matches.
UP NEXT: Concordia will finish off the spring season by playing at St. Olaf on Saturday, May 1 at 1:30 p.m.
Macalester 9, Concordia-M'head 0
Apr 25, 2021 at Bloomington, Minn. (LIFETIME FITNESS)
1. Sam Hochberger (MAC) def. Cole Gillespie (CC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Jeffrey Jorgensen (MAC) def. Shota Oda (CC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Karsten Knutsen (MAC) def. Kipton Jenson (CC) 6-2, 6-0
4. Ben White (MAC) def. Sean Martin (CC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Matthew Sullivan (MAC) def. Jake Peters (CC) 6-1, 6-3
6. Alexander Poland (MAC) def. Eli Simonson (CC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Sam Hochberger/Ben White (MAC) def. Cole Gillespie/Shota Oda (CC) 8-3
2. Matthew Sullivan/Aidan Toner-Rodgers (MAC) def. Kipton Jenson/Eli Simonson (CC) 8-3
3. Jeffrey Jorgensen/Alexander Poland (MAC) def. Sean Martin/Jake Peters (CC) 8-1