WINONA, Minn. (4/18/21)---Concordia finished off its longest road trip of the year by dropping decisions in Rogers and Winona over the weekend.
The Cobbers started their only overnight weekend of the season by falling 7-2 against Hamline at the Rogers Tennis Club and then traveled south to Winona and lost 9-0 to St. Mary's.
Concordia's two wins against the Pipers on Saturday came in singles play. Jake Peters and Eli Simonson both claimed straight-set wins to get CC on the board.
Peters gained a 6-3, 7-6 victory at No.5 singles and Simonson won 6-2, 6-2 at No.6 singles. The win for Peters was his team-leading fourth of the season. He is now 4-4 on the year and his four singles wins are among the tops for the No.5 singles players in the MIAC. Peters is 1-1 since moving up to the No.5 spot and was 3-3 at No.6
Simonson earned his first victory of the year with his straight-set win. He is now 1-1 at No.6 singles since moving to that spot in the lineup.
The closest other singles bout on Saturday came at No.2 where senior Shota Oda lost in the super-set tiebreaker. Ota won 6-2 in the first set but couldn't close the door and fell 6-3 in the second set and 10-8 in the tiebreaker.
Sunday's early-morning bout with St. Mary's saw close singles competition but, unfortunately for CC the matches went in favor of the Cardinals.
No.1 singles player Cole Gillespie and No.4 Sean Martin both lost in the super-set. Gillespie won 6-4 in the opener but then lost 6-2 in the second and 10-3 in the tiebreaker.
Martin rallied from down a set and went back-and-forth before finally losing 10-7 in the super-set. He lost 6-3 in the first but then fought back and rallied to win in the tiebreaker (7-4) in the second set.
UP NEXT: Concordia will have a week to practice before hitting the road again to play Macalester in St. Paul on Sunday, Apr. 25 at 12:30 p.m.
Hamline 7, Concordia-M'head 2
4/17/2021 at Rogers, MN (Rogers Tennis Club)
1. Nazeer Robinson (HU) def. Cole Gillespie (CC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Sam Thompson (HU) def. Shota Oda (CC) 2-6, 6-3, 10-8
3. Isaac Hultberg (HU) def. Kipton Jenson (CC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Dominic Warzecha (HU) def. Sean Martin (CC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Jake Peters (CC) def. Sean Le (HU) 6-3, 7-6
6. Eli Simonson (CC) def. Allan Yang (HU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Nazeer Robinson/Sam Thompson (HU) def. Cole Gillespie/Shota Oda (CC) 8-1
2. Dominic Warzecha/Isaac Hultberg (HU) def. Kipton Jenson/Eli Simonson (CC) 8-3
3. Allan Yang/Sean Le (HU) def. Jake Peters/Sean Martin (CC) 8-4