FARGO, N.D. (4/11/21)---Concordia returned to action for the first time in 15 days, played three close doubles matches but couldn't come up a win and lost 7-2 to Scholastica at Courts Plus in Fargo.
The Cobbers had a shot in all three doubles bouts against the Saints but couldn't string key points together and lost 8-4 in all three matches.
Seniors Shota Oda and Jake Peters provided the highlights of the day in singles play. Oda came through in the closest match of any of the nine on the day. He won 6-3 in the opening set at No.2 singles but then stumbled and lost 6-1 in the second. Ota responded with a dramatic 10-8 victory in the super-set tiebreaker. He was able to finish off his opponent after the two went back-and-forth through the 18-point extra set. The win was Oda's second of the season in his first match at No.2 singles. He had been in the No.1 slot in the team's first five matches of the year. It is also his second consecutive win.
The other team win came courtesy of Peters at No.6 singles. He cruised to a 6-2, 6-0 win to pick up his team-leading third win of the season. Like Oda, it was also his second straight singles victory. Peters now has eight career singles wins in maroon and gold.
The other close match in the six singles bouts came at No.4 singles where Sean Martin lost 6-2 in Set 1 but then rallied and went close in the second, only to drop a 7-5 decision.
UP NEXT: Concordia returns to MIAC action next Saturday when they travel to Rogers to take on Hamline at 2 p.m. at the Rogers Tennis Club.
St. Scholastica 7, Concordia (MN) 2
4/11/2021 at Fargo, ND (Courts Plus)
1. Elliot Schneider (CSS) def. Cole Gillespie (CC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Shota Oda (CC) def. Jack Kearney (CSS) 6-3, 1-6, 10-8
3. Jake Jolowsky (CSS) def. Kipton Jenson (CC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Giacomo Lucchesi (CSS) def. Sean Martin (CC) 6-2, 7-5
5. Bradley Golant (CSS) def. Eli Simonson (CC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Jake Peters (CC) def. Reed Kolles (CSS) 6-2, 6-0
1. Elliot Schneider/Jack Kearney (CSS) def. Cole Gillespie/Kipton Jenson (CC) 8-4
2. Jake Jolowsky/Reece Patten (CSS) def. Shota Oda/Sean Martin (CC) 8-4
3. Bradley Golant/Duke Nguyen (CSS) def. Eli Simonson/Jake Peters (CC) 8-4
RECAP SPONSOR: Today's recap sponsor is Bursch Travel. Cobber athletics would like to thank Bursch Travel for their continued support of Concordia student/athletes.