LAKEVILLE, Minn. (4/18/19)---Concordia fell one match short in their comeback at St. Olaf in the final match of the season. The Cobbers trailed 2-1 after the doubles bouts and then rallied in singles play before finally losing 5-4 to the Oles.
The 1-match decision in the overall match marks the third time this season that the Cobbers have had a conference battled be determined by a single match. The Cobbers are now 2-1 in those contests. CC closes out the 2019 campaign with a 5-14 overall record and a 1-8 mark in MIAC play. St. Olaf is now 4-6 in all matches and 3-5 in league play.
Concordia's No.1 doubles pair of Erik Porter and Jared Saue earned the only point in the doubles bouts. They recorded an 8-5 victory to up their season win total to 11-7. The 11 wins marks the second straight year that Porter has won 11 matches in doubles play. He was 11-8 with David Schneck last season.
Saue carried over his success from doubles and closed out his breakout singles season with another win. He claimed a 6-2, 6-4 straight set victory to post his team-leading 12th singles win of the year. He finishes the season with a 12-7 mark. That total is a single-season best for Saue who now has 26 career singles wins in maroon and gold.
Ben Swanson also capped off a career singles season. He was one of the other two victors against the Oles as he claimed a 6-3, 6-3 win at No.3 singles. Swanson end the season with an 11-8 singles record after going 2-3 last year.
Carter Steffes gave the Cobbers their fourth point of the match. He outlasted his opponent at No.4 singles in the super-set tie-breaker. Steffes lost the first set 6-4 but then wore his opponent down in the second set with a 7-3 win in the tie-breaker. He carried that momentum over to the super-set and won 10-7. The victory was Steffes' fifth of the year and he ends his junior season with a 5-13 record.
St. Olaf College 5, Concordia-M'head 4
04/18/19 at Lakeville, Minn. (Life Time Fitness)
1. Corey Loken (STO) def. Erik Porter (CC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Jared Saue (CC) def. Spencer Wick (STO) 6-2, 6-4
3. Ben Swanson (CC) def. Christopher Prokosch (STO) 6-3, 6-3
4. Carter Steffes (CC) def. Gus Fedje-Johnston (STO) 4-6, 7-6 (7-3), 10-7
5. Tony Klagge (STO) def. Jake Peters (CC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Ethan Bruha (STO) def. Christian Larson (CC) 6-3, 6-2
1. Erik Porter/Jared Saue (CC) def. Spencer Wick/Gus Fedje-Johnston (STO) 8-5
2. Corey Loken/Christopher Prokosch (STO) def. Ben Swanson/Carter Steffes (CC) 8-4
3. Ethan Bruha/Kevin Kalkus (STO) def. Grant Storm/Nick Immel (CC) 8-1