MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. (4/14/19)---Concordia was finally able to get back on the court after a week of winter weather in April. The Cobbers battled against Hamline but fell 7-2 in a match played at the Baseline Tennis Center.
Sophomore Ben Swanson had a hand in both points for the Cobbers he teamed with Carter Steffes to win at No.2 doubles and then recorded a straight-set win in singles play.
Swanson and Steffes had little trouble with their match at No. 2 doubles as they served up a bagel and won 8-0. It was only the third match the two had been paired in doubles competition and they came away with their first win of the season. Swanson and Steffes are now 1-1 in conference play and 1-2 overall.
Like his doubles bout, Swanson rolled over his opponent in singles play. He won by identical 6-2 scores in his match at No.3 singles to earn his 10th singles victory of the year.
Swanson is the second Cobber played to record a double-digit singles win total this year. He joins teammate Jared Saue with at least 10 victories. The 10 wins is also a single-season career high for Swanson who only had two singles victories in his first year of college tennis last year.
UP NEXT: Concordia will finish off the 2019 season when they play St. Olaf on Thursday, Apr. 18 in Northfield. The match that was originally scheduled for Mar. 9 but was postponed due to a snow storm.
Hamline University 7, Concordia-M'head 2
Apr 14, 2019 at Minneapolis, Minn. (Baseline Tennis Center)
1. Jake Trondson (HUM) def. Erik Porter (CC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Elias Ramirez (HUM) def. Jared Saue (CC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Ben Swanson (CC) def. Tou Ger Xiong (HUM) 6-2, 6-2
4. Nazeer Robinson (HUM) def. Carter Steffes (CC) 6-3, 5-7, 10-6
5. Andrew Argeros (HUM) def. Jake Peters (CC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Cory Penick (HUM) def. Christian Larson (CC) 6-0, 6-3
1. Jake Trondson/Tou Ger Xiong (HUM) def. Erik Porter/Jared Saue (CC) 8-5
2. Carter Steffes/Ben Swanson (CC) def. Levi Duwenhoegger/Cory Penick (HUM) 8-0
3. Nazeer Robinson/Elias Ramirez (HUM) def. Grant Storm/Nick Immel (CC) 8-1