MOORHEAD, Minn. (11/18/19)---Concordia senior Alex Berg capped his conference career by being named the MIAC Special Teams Player of the Week. Berg averaged 56.5 yards on his two punts in the Cobbers' 54-21 win over Carleton on Saturday.
It is the third Player of the Week honor for Berg this season. He was named the MIAC Special Teams Player of the Week on Sept. 30 and earned Defensive Player of the Week honors last week. Berg is one of only two players in the league this season to earn Player of the Week honors on three separate occasions.
Berg finished off his record-setting season as the Cobbers' punter in dramatic fashion as he boomed a 75-yard punt on his final kick of the year. The 75-yard punt tied the school record for longest punt in a game. It also helped Berg finish with a 56.5 yard average over his two punts.
Berg's final punt also gave him a season average of 45.0 yards per punt which is a program record and is also the top average in all of Division III this season. Berg bettered the old school record of 40.4 yards per punt set back in 1998 by Clayton Horgen.
Berg's season average of 45.0 yards per punt is second in the history of the MIAC and just 0.1 yards from the conference record of 45.1 yards per kick which was set in 1999.
Berg's 75-yard punt also marked the second time this season that he has had a kick of at least 70 yards. He connected on a 70-yard punt in the team's MIAC opener against Augsburg on Sept. 21. Berg finished the year with a punt of at least 50 yards in nine of the Cobbers' 10 games.
2019 NCAA Division III Punting Average Leaders
1. 45.0 yds - Alex Berg, Concordia-M'head (MIAC)
2. 44.3 yds - Grayson Harvey, Ferrum (ODAC)
3. 44.2 yds - Cole Westberry, Averett (USA South)
4. 43.9 yds - Zack Warcola, TCNJ (NJAC)
5. 43.7 yds - Tyler James, Austin (SAA)
MIAC Single Season Punting Average Leaders
1. 45.1 yds - Phil Barry, Saint John's - 1999
2. 45.0 yds - Alex Berg, Concordia - 2019
3. 43.0 yds - Adam Pearson, Carleton - 2015
4. 42.5 yds - Garrett Maloney, St. Thomas - 2012
5. 40.9 yds - Lucas Wainman, St. Olaf - 2012
Concordia Single Season Punting Average Leaders
1. 45.0 yds - Alex Berg - 2019
2. 40.43 yds - Clayton Horgen - 1998
3. 38.61 yds - Alex Berg - 2018
4. 38.48 yds - KevinWilliamson - 2006
5. 38.36 yds - Eddie Clifton - 2015