NORTHFIELD, Minn. (5/4/12)—May the fourth was with Cobber junior Kaari Jensen at the MIAC heptathlon as she channeled her inner Yoda and broke the MIAC and school records on her way to winning the event by over 500 points.
Jensen broke former teammate Leah Kay's school record of 4,812 points which was set back at the 2010 NCAA Championship Meet. The old MIAC record of 4,668 was set in 2005 and held by Ashley Dingels of St. Mary's. Jensen's total is the second highest in NCAA Division III this year.
Jensen set personal best marks in three of the seven events. She also had the best marks of any competitor in the field in five of the seven events. In addition to her school record final total, she also posted the third fastest time in the 100-meter hurdles when she ran a 15.14 in the very first event of the heptathlon on Friday.
Jensen's highest point total in any event came in the 100-meter hurdles where she scored 823 points. Jensen scored at least 600 points in all but one event and scored over 650 points in four of the seven competitions.
Jensen was one of three Cobber athletes in the event. Sophomore Olivia Decker finished fifth with a total of 3,569 points and fellow sophomore Jessica Marken was 11th with a score of 2,658 points. Decker set personal records in the 100-meter hurdles and the high jump while Marken had career best marks in the 100-meter hurdles as well as the shot put, 200-meters and javelin.
The Cobber multi-even athletes have given Concordia the lead after one event in the MIAC Outdoor Championship Meet. CC has 14 team points and leads second-place Gustavus by six heading into the bulk of the championship meet on May 10-11 at Concordia.
Final MIAC Heptathlon Standings
1. Kaari Jensen, Jr, Concordia - 4829
2. Erica Roelofs, Sr, Gustavus - 4256
3. Mandy Witschen, So, Saint Benedict - 4066
4. Georgia Cloepfil, Macalester - 3732
5. Olivia Decker, So, Concordia - 3569
6. Adrianne Acosta, So, Hamline - 3427
7. Keelie Sorenson, So, Hamline - 3253
8. Kayti Helm, So, Saint Benedict - 3138
9. Jule Muegge, Fr, Saint Catherine - 3088
10. Makayla Skluzacek, Fr, Saint Catherine - 2951
11. Jessica Marken, So, Concordia - 2658
12. Emily Hughes, So, St. Thomas - 2553