SARTELL, Minn. (2/11/18)---Concordia dropped a non-conference/conference double dip over the weekend. The Cobbers fell 9-0 to MSU Moorhead on Friday and then lost the MIAC opener 8-1 at St. Benedict on Sunday.
The overall team scores weren't indicative of the progress shown by Concordia as both matches had highly competitive sets and the dual with St. Benedict had four singles matches being decided in the tie breaker.
The doubles play of the Cobbers was also a strong point of improvement and captured the only win of the weekend.
The No.2 doubles team of Kendra Stoick and Lisa Neumann cruised to an 8-1 win in their match against St. Benedict.
Concordia trailed 2-1 heading into singles play with the Blazers on Sunday and then lost four of the six singles matches in the tie breaker. Stoick used the momentum from her doubles win to take the first set 6-3 in her No.2 singles match. She then dropped a 6-1 decision in set No.2 before falling 10-7 in the super-set tie-breaker.
Freshmen Jenna Forknell, Maia Wendel and Josie Beachy all lost in the super-set tie-breaker.
On Friday against the Dragons it was the doubles crew that came closest to a win. Stoick and Neumann lost 8-3 at No.2 doubles as did the No.3 tandem of Beachy and Lexi Johnson. The No.1 doubles squad of Forknell and Wendel dropped an 8-2 decision.
WHAT'S NEXT: Concordia will have a conference road doubleheader next weekend before heading to Florida for their annual spring break training trip. The Cobbers will play at St. Thomas on Feb. 17 and then square off against Carleton on Sunday, Feb. 18 in Owatonna.
MSU Moorhead 9, Concordia-M'head 0
Feb 09, 2018 at Fargo, N.D. (Courts Plus)
1. Geske, Julia (MSUM) def. Jenna Forknell (CC) 6-1, 6-3
2. Keelin, Olivia (MSUM) def. Kendra Stoick (CC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Albert, Swenne (MSUM) def. Maia Wendel (CC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Wolf, Alyssa (MSUM) def. Lisa Neumann (CC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Ramsbottom, Ricquel (MSUM) def. Josie Beachy (CC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Konecne, Alexis (MSUM) def. Lexi Johnson (CC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Geske, Julia/Keelin, Olivia (MSUM) def. Jenna Forknell/Maia Wendel (CC) 8-2
2. Albert, Swenne/Konecne, Alexis (MSUM) def. Lisa Neumann/Kendra Stoick (CC) 8-3
3. Ramsbottom, Ricquel/Zamora, Emma (MSUM) def. Lexi Johnson/Josie Beachy (CC) 8-3