MORRIS, MINN. (4/23/17)--- Concordia blitzed its second straight UMAC opponent and finished the 2017 season by beating Minn.-Morris 8-1.
The win is the second straight against a UMAC opponent. The Cobbers beat Bethany Lutheran by a similar 8-1 score on Mar. 26.
The victory gives the Cobbers a 2-14 record for the year. The Cougars are now 1-12 for the season.
Concordia had all three of its singles wins leaders record victories at Morris. Kendra Stoick, Lisa Neumann and Talia Dalzell all came away with their third singles win of the year to finish tied atop the Cobber leaderboard.
Stoick played in the most dramatic match of the day as she rallied from losing 6-3 in the first set to win the second set 6-3. She then cruised to a 10-5 win in the super-set tie-breaker at No.1 singles.
The win is the third in the last six matches for Stoick who played a majority of her matches in the No.2 singles spot.
Neumann won her bout at No.2 singles in straight sets. She won 6-2, 6-0 and moved her record to 2-4 on the year when playing at No.2 singles.
Dalzell also won in straight sets at No. 6 singles although she had to battle through a tie-breaker in the first set. Dalzell won 7-6 (4), 6-3 to grab her third singles win of the season. She finished the year by winning two of her final four matches.
Freshmen Ivy Mattson and Mikaila Carney won the other two singles matches for CC – and both won in straight sets. Mattson went 6-2, 6-0 at No.3 singles and Carney had to fight through a tie-breaker in Set 2 to win 6-0, 7-6 (4).
The Cobber doubles tandems staked the team to a 3-0 lead after the first three matches of the day. Stoick and Mattson pulled out an 8-6 victory at No.1 doubles. That would be the closest match of the day.
The Cobber No.2 and No.3 doubles teams both won by identical 8-1 scores. Neumann and Breann Adamek won at No.2 doubles and Carney and Dalzell teamed up to capture the victory in the No.3 spot.
The win for all three doubles teams was their second of the year and all three tied for the team lead.
Concordia-Moorhead 8, Minnesota-Morris 1
Apr 23, 2017 at Morris, Minn.
1. Kendra Stoick (CC) def. Emily Johnson (UMM) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Lisa Neumann (CC) def. Mackenzie Burris (UMM) 6-2, 6-0
3. Ivy Mattson (CC) def. Suzanne Coleman (UMM) 6-2, 6-0
4. Mikaila Carney (CC) def. Hanna Gasaway (UMM) 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Abby Van Kempen (UMM) def. Breann Adamek (CC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Talia Dalzell (CC) def. Kelsey Fisher (UMM) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
1. Ivy Mattson/Kendra Stoick (CC) def. Emily Johnson/Mackenzie Burris (UMM) 8-6
2. Lisa Neumann/Breann Adamek (CC) def. Suzanne Coleman/Hanna Gasaway (UMM) 8-1
3. Mikaila Carney/Talia Dalzell (CC) def. Abby Van Kempen/Kelsey Fisher (UMM) 8-1