Power Played

Sophomore Maddie Ellingson scored the first goal of the game - her first of the season - in the Cobbers' series finale at St. Mary's.
Sophomore Maddie Ellingson scored the first goal of the game - her first of the season - in the Cobbers' series finale at St. Mary's.

WINONA, Minn. (1/13/18)---A pair of third-period power play goals kept Concordia from earning a road series sweep at St. Mary's. The Cobbers led 2-1 after 40 minutes of play but then gave up two unanswered goals in the final frame and lost 3-2.

The series split marks the first time this season that Concordia has split a conference two-game tilt. The Cobbers are now 4-2-2 in the MIAC and 7-6-2 overall. St. Mary's ups its record to 7-8-0 in all games and 4-4-0 in league play.

Neither team got on the scoreboard in the first period despite combining for 21 shots on goal – the most of any period on Saturday.

Sophomore Maddie Ellingson finally broke the scoreless tie at the 7:48 mark of the second period. Ellingson scored her first goal of the year on an assist from Amelia Amon.

The Cardinals would tie the game less than three minutes later with an even-strength goal of their own.

Senior captain Tori Davis would give the Cobbers their second lead of the game when she scored on the power play at 16:26 of the middle marker. It would be the first of three straight power play goals to finish off the game. Amanda Flemming and Megan Mohr were credited with the assists on Davis' seventh goal of the season.

Concordia held a 2-1 lead after two periods of play and also came away with a 21-16 edge in shots on goal in the first 40 minutes of play.

The Cobbers would outshoot the Cardinals 11-6 in the third period but it was St. Mary's who made the most of their shots. SMU tied the game at 5:13 and then won the game with a goal at 13:27. Both scores came after Concordia had been whistled for tripping penalties.

Concordia completely dominated the final 6:33 of regulation as the Cardinals clung desperately to the one-goal lead. The Cobbers had 14 shot attempts as compared to none for SMU. CC had eight shots on net during that time and had four others blocked by St. Mary's defenders.

Concordia pulled goalie Amy Jost with 1:06 left in the third period and had two shots on goal but still couldn't come up with the game-tying goal.

The Cobbers wound up outshooting St. Mary's 32-22 for the game. Flemming had a game-high eight shots on target while Emily Goff fired seven pucks on goal.

Jost finished with 19 saves in the game.

The game featured 12 penalties and 11 power play opportunities. Concordia went 1-for-4 on the power play while SMU was staked to seven man-advantage situations and scored twice.  

WHAT'S NEXT: Concordia will return home to host St. Benedict in a two-game series on Jan. 19-20. The Blazers are 2-11-1 this year and 1-6-1 in MIAC play. CSB is coming off a split with Bethel.