SARTELL, Minn. (2/11/18)---Concordia was riding high after doubles play in their MIAC opener at St. John's but then stumbled in singles play and lost 7-2 in a battle of previously unbeaten teams.
The Cobbers won two of the three doubles bouts and led 2-1 heading into single play but then lost all six singles matches and lost for the first time in 2018.
The No.2 and No.3 doubles teams got Concordia off to a great start by both posting 8-5 wins in their matches. Erik Porter and David Schneck claimed the win at No.2 doubles and then Mattew Engum and Ben Swanson followed suit at No.3 doubles.
The Cobbers held the momentum in the team match heading into singles play but then several close bouts in the next 90 minutes proved too much to overcome.
Cobber No.1 singles player Isaac Toivonen had his 11-match win streak in team competitions come to an end as he lost in the super-set tie-breaker. Toivones started slow, dropping the first set 6-2 but then rallied to record a 6-4 win in the second set. The tie-breaker went back and forth before Toivonen lost a couple of break points and fell 10-7.
Porter couldn't come up with a breaker in No.2 singles and lost 6-4, 6-3. Freshman Ben Swanson lost his match at No.6 singles by a similar 6-3, 6-4 margin.
Jared Saue nearly came back to force a tie-breaker in his match at No.5 singles. He lost the opening set 6-1 but then rallied to lose 7-5 in the second set.
WHAT'S NEXT: The Cobbers will look to get back on the winning track when they take to the road for a doubleheader next weekend. Concordia will play at St. Thomas on Saturday, Feb. 17 and then head south to Owatonna to play Carleton on Sunday, Feb. 18.
Saint John's University 7, Concordia-Moorhead 2
Feb 11, 2018 at Sartell, Minn. (Sta-Fit)
1. Tim Larson (SJU) def. Isaac Toivonen (CC) 6-2, 4-6, 10-7
2. Ryan Meger (SJU) def. Erik Porter (CC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Thomas Gillach (SJU) def. Matthew Engum (CC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Hunter Krebsbach (SJU) def. David Schneck (CC) 6-1, 6-3
5. Jonah Punnoose (SJU) def. Jared Saue (CC) 6-1, 7-5
6. Nate Jordre (SJU) def. Ben Swanson (CC) 6-3, 6-4
1. Thomas Gillach/Tim Larson (SJU) def. Isaac Toivonen/David Youngs (CC) 8-4
2. Erik Porter/David Schneck (CC) def. Nate Jordre/Jonah Punnoose (SJU) 8-5
3. Matthew Engum/Ben Swanson (CC) def. Hunter Krebsbach/Ryan Meger (SJU) 8-5