MORRIS, MINN. (4/23/17)--- Concordia capped its "Tale of Two Seasons" campaign by rolling over Minn.-Morris 9-0 in the final match of the year.
The Cobber tale of two seasons started with a 1-6 record but then CC found its confidence and went 4-5 in the final nine matches. Concordia finishes with a 5-11 overall record. The five wins is the most by a CC team since the 2012 season.
The breakout star of the 2017 season for Concordia was No.1 singles player Isaac Toivonen who won his final nine matches of the year and capped it with a straight set 6-0, 6-0 victory against the Cougars. Toivonen ends his junior year with a 13-3 overall record. He went 7-2 in conference play and is a favorite to earn MIAC All-Conference honors.
Toivonen's 13 singles wins are the most by a Cobber player since 2011 when Matt Edin went 14-3. Toivonen now has 24 singles wins in his first three seasons in maroon and gold.
Senior Jesse Schneeberger finished off his collegiate career in winning fashion. He teamed with Toivonen at No.1 doubles and won 8-0. He then captured a 6-4, 6-1 straight set win at No.4 singles.
Schneeberger ends 2017 with four singles wins and seven victories in doubles competition. Both win totals are career highs for Schneeberger at Concordia.
Cobber head coach Joseph Murrey used four freshmen in the other singles spots to earn the shutout win. David Youngs, Erik Porter, Jared Saue and Tate Hovland all won in straight sets to end their first year of collegiate play.
Porter recorded his fifth singles win of the season. He won 6-0, 6-2 at No.3 singles and was 3-4 playing in the No.3 spot on the season.
Youngs didn't lose a game en route to a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No.2 singles. He finished the season by winning three of his last five singles bouts.
Saue was inserted into the lineup in the middle of March and lost his first two matches but then went 3-2 to end his first collegiate season with a 3-4 record.
The win for Hovland at No.6 singles came in only his second singles match of the year and he won in straight sets in both matches.
Concordia-Moorhead 9, Minnesota Morris 0
Apr 23, 2017 at Morris, Minn.
1. Isaac Toivonen (CC) def. Paul Leslie (UMM) 6-0, 6-0
2. David Youngs (CC) def. Calvin Cicha (UMM) 6-0, 6-0
3. Erik Porter (CC) def. Matthew Fischbach (UMM) 6-0, 6-2
4. Jesse Schneeberger (CC) def. Andy Haley (UMM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Jared Saue (CC) def. Franklin Real (UMM) 6-0, 6-1
6. Tate Hovland (CC) def. Gannon Youakim (UMM) 6-0, 6-0
1. Isaac Toivonen/Jesse Schneeberger (CC) def. Calvin Cicha/Matthew Fischbach (UMM) 8-0
2. Matthew Engum/David Schneck (CC) def. Paul Leslie/Franklin Real (UMM) 8-0
3. Carter Steffes/Tate Hovland (CC) def. Andy Haley/Gannon Youakim (UMM) 8-2