GRAND FORKS, N.D. (4/15/17)---Isaac Toivonen started the season with a four-match win streak in singles play. He has now doubled that mark as he won his eighth straight match in the Cobbers' 6-1 loss at Division I University of North Dakota.
Toivonen dropped three straight matches after his initial four-match streak but has not lost since Mar. 17. He upped his overall record to 12-3 on the year by posting a straight set 7-6 (4), 6-4 win over the Fighting Hawks No.1 singles player Dustin Britton who is 7-10 on the year against mainly Division I competition.
Toivonen's win would be the only point on the day for Concordia who falls to 4-11 for the season. North Dakota is now 5-14.
Playing under Division I rules where doubles play only counts as one point towards the team score, the Cobbers dropped all three bouts but had a chance to earn wins in two of the three.
Toivonen and No.1 singles partner David Youngs lost 7-5 in a match that went back and forth. The Cobber No.2 doubles tandem of Erik Porter and Tate Hovland also battled to a two-game decision. They were unable to come up with a break down the stretch and lost 6-4.
Youngs and fellow freshman Jared Saue came away with the most game wins in singles play as Concordia dropped the final five singles bouts in straight sets. Youngs fell 6-2, 6-2 at No.2 singles and Saue lost a 6-1, 6-3 decision at No.6 singles.
TOIVONEN TAKES: If Isaac Toivonen wins his final singles match of the season he will push his record to 13-3 for the year. The 13 singles wins would be the most since Matt Edin won 14 in 2011 when he went 14-3. Toivonen has now won 23 singles bouts in his career in maroon and gold. He had 11 wins in his first two years and has doubled that mark in his breakout junior season.
WHAT'S NEXT: Concordia will finish off the 2017 season when they play at Minn.-Morris on Sunday, Apr. 23 at 12:30 p.m. The Cougars are 0-9 on the season and lost 9-0 to MIAC foe Hamline on Friday.
North Dakota 6, Concordia-Moorhead 1
Apr 15, 2017 at Grand Forks (Choice Health & Fitness)
1. Isaac Toivonen (CC) def. Britton, Dustin (UND) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
2. Lau, Travis (UND) def. David Youngs (CC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Misialek, Ty (UND) def. Erik Porter (CC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Danyluk, Simon (UND) def. David Schneck (CC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Mailes, Alex (UND) def. Matthew Engum (CC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Hokanson, Matt (UND) def. Jared Saue (CC) 6-1, 6-3
1. Britton, Dustin/Lau, Travis (UND) def. Isaac Toivonen/David Youngs (CC) 7-5
2. Misialek, Ty/Danyluk, Simon (UND) def. Erik Porter/Tate Hovland (CC) 6-4
3. David Schneck/Matthew Engum (CC) def. Mailes, Alex/Hokanson, Matt (UND) 6-2