SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (2/04/17)--- Isaac Toivonen and Matthew Engum stayed unbeaten in singles play on the year as Concordia fell at Division II Augustana (S.D.) 6-3.
It marked the second straight season the Cobbers had lost to the Vikings by a 6-3 margin but this year's outcome was a closer affair throughout the doubles and singles matches.
The loss is the second straight to start the season for Concordia while Augustana moves to 2-0 for the season.
Toivonen earned a team point at the top of the singles ladder while Engum continued his perfect year at No.6 singles. Engum also teamed with Jesse Schneeberger to capture the lone doubles win for CC.
Playing for the first time as a doubles team this year Engum and Schneeberger won 8-5 in the No.3 doubles spot.
The Cobbers dropped the match at No.2 doubles 8-5 to start the team competition. Engum and Schneeberger then tied the match at 1-1 before Toivonen and freshman David Youngs narrowly missed a chance to give CC a 2-1 lead heading into singles play. The bout at No.1 doubles went into extra games with Toivonen and Youngs dropping a 9-7 decision.
Toivonen then tied the match at 2-2 when he rallied from a 6-3 defeat in the first set to recorded a 6-1 victory in set No.2 and then rolled to a 10-1 win in the super-set tie-breaker.
The win is Toivonen's 13th overall singles win in his two-plus years in maroon and gold.
Unfortunately for Concordia the Vikings rattled off four straight singles wins to seal the win in the team competition. Engum brought the final margin closer when he cruised to a 6-2, 7-5 win at No.6 singles.
Engum is now 2-0 in singles play this year and has matched his win total from all of last season.
WHAT'S NEXT: Concordia will now open MIAC play when they travel to White Bear Lake to take on Bethel on Saturday, Feb. 11 at 2:30 p.m. The Royals are 3-0 on the season after posting a pair of wins on Saturday.
Augustana (SD) 6, Concordia-Moorhead 3
Feb 04, 2017 at Sioux Falls, S.D. (GreatLIFE)
1. Isaac Toivonen (CC) def. Adkins, Zachary (AUGIE) 3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-1)
2. Adkins, Charlie (AUGIE) def. David Youngs (CC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Barr, Logan (AUGIE) def. David Schneck (CC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Sawatzke, Joe (AUGIE) def. Erik Porter (CC) 6-0, 6-2
5. DeSpiegler, Mark (AUGIE) def. Jesse Schneeberger (CC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Matthew Engum (CC) def. Kelly, Frank (AUGIE) 6-2, 7-5
1. Adkins, Zachary/Adkins, Charlie (AUGIE) def. Isaac Toivonen/David Youngs (CC) 9-7
2. Barr, Logan/Sawatzke, Joe (AUGIE) def. Erik Porter/David Schneck (CC) 8-3
3. Jesse Schneeberger/Matthew Engum (CC) def. Olson, Trae/Ritterbusch, Reed (AUGIE) 8-5